xPART 10x

Harry didn’t have to see the tower to feel at home here. No, he felt at home the minute he entered the castle. He could just feel the magic and energy flowing through every stone. When Harry and Hermione stepped over the threshold as a pair, Hermione gasped out loud as did almost every other first year. Later, when she described the common room to Harry, he thought she might be exaggerating her descriptions but when he thought back to this moment, he had a feeling that she wasn’t; that the Ravenclaw Tower was everything she said it was.

The Ravenclaw Tower, according to Hermione, was well-lit, with a domed ceiling and windows and bookshelves reaching up to touch the ceiling. On the dome was a complete map of the constellations, planets, and comets. Hanging from one end of the ceiling to another were silk scarves and banners, a few sporting the signature Raven of their house. The walls were an ocean or midnight blue, the carpets a shade lighter. On one side of the room was a fireplace with blue sofas and armchairs. Close by was a self-playing piano, that played every night until everyone was asleep. Standing in front of a window, opposite the fireplace, was a levitating table with no legs. On the table hovered a soft glowing model of the solar system. When the candles, which rested in bronze candleholders shaped like ravens or eagles, went out each night, the model was the only source of light, emitting a soft, white glow. Pulling the beautiful view together, Hermione told him, was the staircase in front of a few bookshelves, reaching up to a shuttered window for the delivery owls to come and go, the spiral staircase leading down to the dormitories, and a detailed statue of Rowena Ravenclaw herself, wearing her famous diadem.

Hermione signed at the beauty of the tower.

Harry: Thank you, Hermione.

Hermione: Hmm? What for?

Harry: For being a good friend. Even though I’m blind, you still help me, even if it's just describing things. I feel like I can really see things when you describe them. Most people wouldn’t do that for me if they hadn’t known me for years. So, thank you. I’m very grateful.

Hermione: Oh, it's nothing. Hey, Professor Flitwick is speaking again. Listen.

Professor Flitwick: Right in the middle of the room is a spiral staircase. It leads down to the dormitories. First years are at the top and they go down as the years go by and the students get older. Now, it's getting late and you all have classes in the morning, so everyone get some good rest. The names of the students are written in gold lettering on the doors to each room. Off you go now.

Instead of going right away, Hermione turned to Harry.

Hermione: Will you make it to your room alright? Castor can lead you properly, even in the dark?

Castor (in a teasing tone): I feel insulted. Does she think I can’t see in the dark? That I am incapable of doing my job? How rude.

Harry (chuckling): We’ll be fone. Castor can see in the dark. I’ll see you in the morning. Goodnight, Mione.

Hermione: Goodnight, Harry, Castor.

And with that, they both went on their own to find their respective rooms.