xPART 7x

As Castor transformed, his hissing turned into a roar of anger. Castor grabbed Ronald’s neck with both hands and shoved him against the window, hard enough that everyone heard the window pane rattle. Harry sat there stunned, staring at Castor even as the others scrambled to their feet, yelping.

Hermione: Oh my god!

Blaise: What in Merlin’s name?!

Neville: Oh my!

Harry shook his head, clearing it of his earlier stupor. He stood up quickly and rushed to Castor’s side, trying to pull him away from Ronald by tugging on his arm.

Harry: Cas-Castor?! What are you doing?! Stop!

Castor (growling): No. He needs to suffer. His aura is much more than red to me, Harry, it’s black too!

Harry (scared): I know, I know, but if you hurt him, someone will take you away! If you go, I won’t be able to see and I wouldn’t be able to help you find Pollox! Please, Castor, I need you! You’re my eyes remember? You said you’d help me see for as long as I needed. You said forever if that’s what it takes.

Hermione: Shouldn’t we get someone? An adult or something?

Blaise: No, this is between the three of them. If Harry can calm Castor down, there won’t be any problems. We don’t need to interfere.

Harry: Please, Castor, you're scaring me. Don’t make me pull out the “Master” card, because I really don’t want to. Let him go, Cas. If you don’t I won’t let you snuggle in bed with me at night.

Ronald’s eyes were drooping at this point and he was almost ready to pass out. Castor thought very carefully about Harry’s threat. Finally, he let go of Ronald’s neck, grabbed Harry from behind protectively, and backed up until Harry’s back was pressed against the door. He points to Ronald, who’s gasping for air on the ground, and glares at Hermione, Blaise, and Neville, speaking roughly.

Castor: That one does not get within thirty feet of Harry. Do I make myself clear?

All three of them nodded, obviously scared.

Harry reached up and threaded his nimble fingers through Castor’s tangled hair in an attempt to calm him down. It worked. Castor leaned into Harry’s hand, his eyes closed and practically purred in pleasure at the warmth.

Harry (softly): Let’s sit down, Cas.

Blaise went over to sit beside Neville and Hermione so Harry could sit down and for Castor to have enough room to lie down with his head in Harry’s lap. Once they were both comfortable, Harry continued to comb through Castor’s hair.

Harry: How long have you been a snake?

Castor: Since I came into my inheritance and could shift, or since I’ve been stuck in my form?

Harry: Both.

Castor: I came into my inheritance when I was four and I was captured and stuck as a snake when I was six.

Neville: Can I ask a question?

Castor: Yes.

Neville: How old are you now?

Castor: I’m thirteen now and my birthday is December 21st.

Hermione: I read somewhere that Animagi go crazy after being in their animal form for too long. Is that true?

Castor: Probably. I think the only two reasons I’m NOT crazy was because I was magically exhausted and because Harry found and saved me. I was lucky.

Blaise: What caused you to be magically exhausted in the first place?

Castor: I’m getting tired. Ask Harry instead.

Harry: Stay human until the train stops, okay? I don’t want to risk you going crazy.

Nodding, Castor drifted off into the realm of dreams. As soon as he was asleep, Harry answered Blaise’s question.

Harry: When I found Castor in the back room of the pet store in Diagon Alley, his cage was on top of another containing a rat. The rat’s aura was pure black and it was absorbing Castor’s magic and energy right out of his body. It took a whole month after I bought him for Castor to even gain enough energy to make a simple telepathy link let alone transform back. I knew he was special when I saw his aura. I guess I was right.

Neville: It’s good that you saved him.

Ronald: This is ridiculous! I’m finding another compartment.

Ronald stormed from the compartment, slamming the door behind him so hard it bounced back open when it hit the wall on the other side. Castor flinched in his sleep and Harry gently rubbed his arm in comfort.

Blaise: I think we’re almost there. We should change into our robes.

Hermione: Yes, I agree. I don’t mind if you want to change in here, but seeing as I’m the only girl, I’ll go to the bathroom to change.

She stood up to leave and walked to the door, opening it. She paused before closing it.

Hermione: You might want to close the curtains before changing. Who knows what the other girls will do.

Harry: We will. See you in a bit, then.

Hermione closed the door and Harry turns to Blaise and Neville.

Harry: You two can change first. I’ll close the curtains like Hermione suggested and then wake Castor up.

Blaise and Neville: Okay.