xPART 22x

The three boys and Hermione stared at in awe at Harry's lithe form as he batted at a sheet that had shifted and landed over his tail. Terry's cooing averted his attention toward the boy and both gasped.

Terry: Oh, Harry, your eyes are even more beautiful!

Tears welled up and slipped free from said brilliant green eyes and Harry stumbled toward him. He nearly fell face-first off the bed but Castor caught him and placed him on the floor. Harry continued in Terry's direction and practically started bawling when he realized that he didn't know how to jump onto the bed. Terry cooed again, more softly this time, and reached down to pick him up. Harry, still crying, refused to let Terry let him go and curled up in his arms, purring.

Terry (quietly): He's so soft and beautiful.

Castor (gently): He is, isn't he?

Terry: And he saw me. He really saw me!

Castor: He did. He's in a different body, so his eyesight is back for the first time in his life, and its stronger than ever, due to his increased senses.

Hermione: But wouldn't his senses be the same in both forms?

Castor: No. Being an Animagus basically means you can go back and forth between your original body and your animal one, which is completely different. Your animal body is brand new. No scars, illnesses, nothing. That is unless you get those when you're shifted. Scars you get on one body won't show up on the other body but illnesses, depending on what ails you, might if it's bad enough.

Sebastian: Fascinating. Even I didn't know that.

Castor: It's not something a lot of people who aren't Animagi know. I got a really bad case of the flu when I was younger and the only reason I got better was because I had a regular dose of shift time. And it only works because snakes can't get the flu.

During the talking, Harry had calmed down and, with the help of Terry's stroking and gentle scratches, had fallen asleep, purring softly. Terry noticed and without looking away from him, addressed Castor in a whisper.

Terry: Hey, Castor?

Castor: Hmm?

Terry: Harry fell asleep. What should I do? I don't want to wake him.

Castor: Yes, it's best that we don't wake him up. I hate to ask, but can he sleep with you tonight?

Anthony: Where will you sleep then? Don't you two share body heat at night?

Castor: Yes, but I can just sleep at the end of someone's bed as a snake. Besides, it's surprisingly warm for being in the second-tallest tower in the castle.

Sebastian: You've been really quiet since dinner, Anthony. What's wrong?

Anthony spoke in a quiet and somber tone. 

Anthony: Just...family problems. Hey, uh, Castor? When Harry shifts back in the morning, can you tell him to meet me in the common room? I need to tell him about something before I tell the rest of you.

Castor gazed at him with gentle eyes. He could see that whatever Anthony was thinking about was eating at him.

Castor: I'll tell him. What time do you want to see him?

Anthony: Seven am. Thanks, man. (Yawns widely) I think I should get some sleep. 'Night everyone.

A chorus of "Goodnights" sounded off and the rest of them decided to go to bed as well.

Terry: Hey, Castor, can you help me with my sheets before you go to bed? I don't think I should move too much, that way I don't wake Harry up.

Castor: Sure, one second.

He slipped off the bed and walked over to Terry, who got off as carefully as he could without jostling Harry's small form. Castor pulled back the covers and, after Terry gently climbed in, covered his legs and part of his torso.

Terry: Thanks. See you tomorrow.

Castor: If he wakes up in the middle of the night or has a nightmare, wake me up and I'll help.

Terry nodded in confirmation and stroked Harry's fur some more. About nineteen minutes later, all of the friends, including Hermione in her own room, were sound asleep. There were no problems that night and everyone woke up well rested.