Chapter 12

Wright's POV

    I decided not to go to Larry's house. There's no point. I've been walking for who knows how long and the sun's beginning to go down now. I still don't want to go home, I don't know what to do.

    I text him again, I can't help it. I'm praying he'll magically respond, that he'll come back. He won't. I'm not dumb, I know he won't, but...just in case?

    "Miles, please, I don't know what's going on or why you did what you did. I want you to come back. I'm lost. Tell me what to do. Call me stupid for not realizing the signs. Come back and call me any name you want, come back and tell me you never want to see me again, come back and tell me you hate my guts. Just come back, please?"

    I send it and shove my phone in my pocket. I won't text him again. I won't think about him again. I'll pretend he never existed. I'll pretend I'm a defense lawyer because of Mia. Why does his death hurt so much more? I'll pretend everything's okay until it is. That's what I do in court, why can't I do it now?

    I decide to go home and I walk into the office, my legs sore from hours of walking. Nobody really needs me, I realize. Nobody would necessarily miss me. Larry would move on and forget about me by his next girlfriend. I guess the office plant would die, I guess it needs me. That's something. Maybe Maya would or maybe she's fine in Kurain. She needs me, I decide, who else would defend her? I guess Mr. Grossburg could, but I don't trust her in his hands. I wouldn't trust anyone in his hands, to be honest.

    Isn't it funny that I'm over here, sobbing my eyes out and trying to find a new sense of purpose, and somebody is off getting married or getting their dream job. I'm fine though, everything is fine.