Chapter 16

Wright's POV

I am awoken by a knock on the door. My bed is kept in a back room of the office. I guess some people wouldn't even call it a bed because it doesn't have a frame and it's just a mattress on the floor. Yeah it looks sad, but I couldn't care less what people think of it, it's my bed.

I get up and make my way to the door. I guess I've been sleeping through a storm. I think the sound of rain and thunder is comforting so it makes sense. I check my watch and it's only around 9:30. Huh. I guess I went to bed early.

I open the door as the boom of thunder fills the air. Edgeworth is standing there and with the sound of thunder he flinches slightly and clings tighter the envelope in his hand.

"What are you doing?" I ask, too tired to be mad at him even though the words did come out a bit harsher then intended.

His eyes meet mine for just a second before he looks away.

"Wright, I came to apologize."

I shake my head, "I don't want to talk about this right now."

He forced the envelope into my hands. "Please," he begged quietly.

I sigh. I didn't go to law school just for our friendship to end like this. I step aside allowing him into my office. He walks in and I walk us to my couch where we both take a seat.

"I'm sorry." He says, looking into his lap where his hands lay intertwined so tightly that his knuckles turn white.

"Why?" I ask.

"Why what?"

"Why did you do it?"

"I already told you."

I shook my head. "I just don't get it!" Then from there I just went on another long rant to him.

He lays a hand on my shoulder, "Wright," He says cutting me off. "No explanation I give you will take away the pain I've caused you."

"It was hell."

"I know," he says softly to me, "I know."

"It was all my fault." I say even quieter than before and the feelings of finding the note were rushing back.

He contemplates something for a second before he pulls me into a hug and squeezes me little. "I'm here."