Chapter 30

Wright's POV

"Niiick!! We have no food!" She complains. It
only took two hours before Maya was hungry again. What a record.

I sigh as I get up. We needed batteries for the remote anyway. "C'mon, we'll go to the store and you can get a frozen pizza or something."
"A frozen pizza, wow, your pockets really are empty, huh Nick?" She says as she follows me out the door.

"I'd have more money if someone didn't eat it all."

"You'd have more money if you'd do your job!" She retorts.

"We'd have more money if you got a job!"
"I do have a job! But someone doesn't pay me!"

I was about to say something but I had to stop in my tracks. Dahlia Hawthorne was leaving the store. She was supposed to have been executed. I rub my eyes, hoping I was seeing things but nope. It was Dahlia. I'd recognize her anywhere.

"...What's wrong?" Maya asks and I realize that my fists were curled.

I was... Unsure of my feelings towards her. I hated who she was in the courtroom. But... Everytime before that was just short of perfect.
She looks at me and her eyes widen and she tries to hurry away.

"Dahlia!" I yell, to any bystander I probably seem like a crazy man. Hell, I felt like one.

She looks upset but she stopped. "I really shouldn't be talking to you." She says, lowering her hood to reveal her now black hair.

My voice is lost in my throat and I just stare at her for a few seconds. "I... You. What are you doing?"

"Feenie..." She covers her mouth with her free hand.

My heart falls into my stomach and I feel like throwing up. I think it's hatred that's forming in me but I can't be sure. I feel something and it definitely isn't love.

Maya stands beside me as she looked at me. "Nick you're green. I knew you were bad at talking to women but sheesh. It's not THAT bad."

"Pheonix... I'm sorry... I should explain everything but I really can't now." She says it so calmly as if her being out is the most normal thing in the world.

I should call the police. She's a murderer. She's dangerous. But I can't. I just stare at her and wish I hadn't eaten lunch.

"Call the Hazakura Temple. We can... I can arrange you a meeting and we can talk about this. I'm so sorry, Feenie."

I could tell I was shaking at least a little as I watched her leave and pull her hood back up.

"The Hazakura Temple?... She's... That's a spirit medium place, Nick. And what's up with you two? Why's it so ominous."

"We're going home." I decide. I answer none of her questions I walk briskly home.