18. Christmas Break

Cassie threw her stuff into her suitcase as she rushed to get everything ready. She had fallen asleep the night before with Izzy even though they were supposed to be packing. They were leaving for Christmas break today. She threw the last few things into her trunk and closed it as Izzy did the same.

"You ready?" Cassie asked her as she picked up her wand from her side table.

Izzy nodded and then gave her bestfriend a grin, "Are you? It's your ball."

"Well, I mean there will be others," Cassie shrugged, struggling not to show her faint smile. She was very excited for it. They had been dreaming of it for years.

"Yes, but this is yours! You'll look a million times better than Alyssa or Allison ever did!" Izzy insisted as she slung her arm around the older girl.

Cassie laughed, "I am a little excited," she admitted and Izzy squealed and grabbed her hand. She pulled her towards the door, not forgetting their trunks. "LET'S GO!" The younger girl shouted. 

She rushes them down stairs to see everyone else grabbing their trunks to leave as well. "Hey, Reg, we'll see you guys at the train alright?" Regulus nods and the two girls leave the common room for the great hall.

They enter to see maybe people saying goodbye and giving gifts to each other. They look around and find Pandora waving them over. "Oh my merlin! Your ball is in a few days!" She claps excitedly and the three laugh together in excitement.

Then, Izzy's face falls as she sees something, "Cassie, your brother doesn't have his trunk with him."

She looks over to the Gryffindor table and indeed, Sirius was just sitting there with his four friends, each without their things. Cassie laughs, "maybe he just doesn't have it with him right this second. I'll go ask him."

She breaks away from the girls and walks up to her brother and his friends. "Aren't you lot going home?"

The four marauders looked at her confused, since when did Sirius' sister ever really care about them. Then, they saw that she was looking directly at Sirius. "No," James answered for him. "My parents are sick so we're staying here."

"Uh, Sirius, why aren't you going home?" She asked him more forcefully. 

He scoffs and his friends laugh,  "Cassie, are you crazy? They hate me. I haven't been back for Christmas since we came here."

Just then, the other two girls march up to him, "Sirius Orion Black," Izzy glares at him. "This is her ball. If you don't come then there will be no one to escort her." She did have Regulus, but she always thought it was going to be Sirius, that's what they always planned for.

"Well, sorry but I'm not going," he shrugs. The three girls looked at him in disbelief and Cassie shook her head, heartbroken.

"I hate you," she muttered, her face feeling hot and her eyes stinging like she was going to cry. The girl turned away from her brother and grabbed her trunk, heading for the platform.

Her friends walked after her and she crossed her arms as they boarded the train in one of the open compartments that fit more than 8 people, that kind of looked like a muggle dining car. When the rest of their group found them, they looked confused.

"What happened?" Densel asked as he sat down next to his girlfriend.

Izzy huffed, "Sirius is refusing to come to Cassie's ball." All of them held expression of shock.

"He can't do that!" Evan yelled, pissed off. "She isn't getting another ball."

Regulus tapped him on the shoulder and calmly looked at his sister, "don't worry, I'll escort you. Sirius's doesn't get it. He never has, leave him in the past."