15. Year 5

"KIDS!" All the Black siblings hear their mother call from upstiars. They were sitting in the upstairs living area. They all look at one another before walking single file down the stairs case to see their mother waiting at the bottom. "Hogwarts letters have arrived," she informs them, setting them on a table next to the fireplace. 

They all run for the letters and Cassie is the first to reach them and passes them out to the other two. Her's was a little heavier than she remembered it being. She turned it over and slowly opened it. She stuck her head inside and feels a bade. Did she get prefect? She turned the green badge over and in silver it said 'Quidditch Captain'.  Her mouth dropped open in surprise and she laughed.

"Cassie?" her little brother questioned, looking at her shocked face. She lifted up the badge and Sirius gasped,"Excuse me? How in Merlin did that happen?"

"Guess I'm just better," Cassie boasted jokingly as she looked over the freshly polished badge.

"What's going on?" Mother asks, looking over. She stares and the badge and nods. "Was hoping for better, but that'll due. Better than your brother."

Sirius rolled his eyes, he knew he wasn't getting Captain, that was for James and being prefect was more for Moony. He never saw himself as either, he didn't want that kind of responsibility, it was a lot of work he would much rather put into pranks.

~

A few weeks later and it was finally time to go back to Hogwarts. Cassie sat in the same compartment she usually did. Since there wasn't enough room for all of their friends they split up and often moved between the two based on what they wanted to talk about. She was currently sitting with Ash, Reggie, Den, Izzy, and Theo. "So do you know who got Quidditch captain?" Den asked. He was secretly hoping it would be him, but also knew he didn't have the most amazing leadership skills.

"Yeah," Reg nodded with a smirk on his face, looking over at his sister. Everyone turned to her and she held a huge grin on her face as she lifted the badge.

"No way, you got quidditch captain?" Izzy asked, excitedly squealing, "I got Prefect, which means we'll be on the same level again." They hugged as they both switched badges so they could look at them.

"At least you'll be able to talk to us about stuff. With past captains we've been kind of in the dark about stuff," Theo hints to, giving her a look to which she rolled her eyes at.

"Of course, I'm going to put your thoughts into account. We make up most of the team and all of us are great players," she explained, they were her friends and she valued their opinions. She couldn't know everything all the time. They grinned excitedly as they started talking about some of the plays they could start running.

"So are you moving Aries off of reserves if he tries out again?" Ash asks, wrapping an arm around Regulus who smirked at him. 

Cassie shrugged, "Guess you'll just have to find out at tryouts."

"God, enough with Quidditch, I'm leaving to the prefects cabin," Izzy complained as she left the compartment dramatically, making them all laugh. She didn't really like the talk about quidditch. She loved watching, but just sitting around talking about it was boring.

~

The weeks back to Hogwarts were boring for the group. It was the same spiel in every class. OWLs this year, OWLs this year, study, study, study, blah, blah, blah. Like they didn't already know. The only thing keeping Cassie's sanity alive was knowing that saturday was Slytherin's quidditch tryouts.

Which just so happened to be today.

She stand in front of the group of tryouts with Aries, Theo, Reggie, Denny, and Ash behind her. "Alright!" Cassie yell getting their attention. "We are only looking for one beater and a few reserves. If you're looking for any other position well then you'll have to wait for an opening maybe next year." A few snakes looked disappointed, but just sighed and stayed where they were. "A couple rules: no disrespecting me or the current team members, no illegal plays on purpose or you'll be benched and running laps, no hurting others on purpose or laps, no talking about any of your team members behind their backs, say it to their face, cowards. Now, let's begin," she smirked at them before blowing the whistle.

The tryouts all shot into the air and took off around the pitch.

Throughout fly arounds the group already on the team spooted a few they liked.  There was girl, Camille Greengrass, the girl Walbura wants Regulus to marry. They've hear she's a good hitter, she would be an amazing beater. There's also Barty, he would be a decent reserve. There's also one of the Lestrange cousins that is good.

Cassie writes all of them down on her clipboard as they fly back down.

She lined them up and release the bludgers on them. She slighlty laughs as a few get hit in the face and she has to send them to the hospital wing . Camille however was amazing, she lined it up perfectly and had the bludger flying through the middle ring across the field.

The team all smirked at each other as they watched her with interest. Once again Crouch did fairly well as a keeper and a chaser. Not the strongest when it came to beaters, but had good coordination. Lestrange was decent enough that he wouldn't absolutely embarrass Slytherin and with work could definitely get better.

"Results will be posted tomorrow in the common room," Captain Black tells them as they all fly down and then head off to the showers. "I think we have good potential for the team this year," she turned around to smile at the others.

"I have a question," Aries says, skeptically. Cassie smiled at him and nods for him to keep going. "You said we only needed one beater, I'm assuming Ash is the other, but who's the keeper?"

"I thought it was obvious," she tilts her head with a smirk and patting his shoulder, "Congratulations, Keeper." He grins and claps.

"Yes! Thank you, Cassie," he says, they high five and he runs off to the showers excitedly.

"Alright, come on we have a study group in the library today for our owls," Theo reminds them, waving them towards the showers in a rush.

They all groan as he starts going on about studying for their owls already. Regulus laughs at them and gives Ash a kiss on the cheek and running away from Theo's insentient talking. 

~

The results were posted in the common room. Of course Chasers were Cassie, Theo, and Densel. Beaters were Ash and Rabstian Lestrange. Barty Crouch, Evan Rosier, and Camilla Greengrass were on reserves. Aries was Keeper and Regulus of course the seeker.

They had been practicing most of September and it was now mid October and everyone was making plans for the first weekend in Hogsmeade.

Cassie was thinking about just going to get a butterbeer with Izzy and Pandora. However, someone else had a different opinion.

Theo stopped her after their most recent practice from going to the locker room. Den gave him a reassuring thumbs up and he took a deep breath and smiled at her. She laughed at him, "everything alright Theo? Something you want to talk about?"

He coughed and hit his chest, "yes actually. Uh-so. I know that we are going to uh-- get married one day- possibly. I-" He took another deep breath and she looked at him confused as to why he was nervous. 

"Theo, you can back out if you want-"

"NO!" He shouted then his face turned red adn he looked down. "Sorry, but no. I really want this to work. I understand if you don't want to but- would you want to go on a date with me?"

Cassie smiles at him with a small blush on her face, "yeah, I think could enjoy that. Hogsmeade?"

He nods, completely in shock, "yeah, yeah sounds good. We'll meet in the common room at 11?" Cassie nods.

"That sounds good," she tells him. She moved closer and kisses him on the cheek. "I'll see you then."

"YES!" He cheered to himself once she left him by himself in the common room.