4

Delta

I smooth my hair out and take a look at myself in the mirror. It's Friday night and I'm meeting Nat and Wanda at Excelsior, the bar in town and now becoming a familiar haunt of mine. I've curled my hair loosely into some beachy waves, chucked on a rust coloured lace dress and paired them with my battered converse. It'll do. I'm not out to go man hunting anyway, plus I need to be up early to take a delivery for the shop tomorrow morning.

Joanne is sitting on the sofa when I emerge from the bedroom and eyes me. "Over my dead body". She says and shakes her head.

I look down at my outfit. "What? Wait, is the dress too short, to slutty? Is it too much?" I ask. It's above the knee, but the length is a good one and makes me look taller than my five foot three frame

"No, it ain't enough". She says and gets up, heading into the spare bedroom of the apartment. There's some movement for a couple of minutes before she emerges with a box. "You wear those shoes out and no man will look 'atcha - put these on". Now pulling a pair of cowboy boots from the box. They're a beige faux suede colour and look barely worn. "Wore 'em on my wedding day". She now explains as I pick one up and run my hand over it. They're beautiful with stitched detailing. "Thought after I'd make use of 'em but never did, so you should have them - who knows, maybe if Grant's out tonight then he'll approve and see you more as a local".

"I don't need the approve of some cranky ass cowboy" I huff as I pull the boots on and take a look in the mirror. Ok, I'll admit, they look pretty damn good with my dress.

Joanne grins and gives my reflection a wink. "Now you're starting to sound like you're from the creek - atta girl. Just don't go putting on no hats from any men though". She warns.

I frown at this. "Why?"

"A rather bold and flirty rule in the cowboy book. Wear the hat? Ride the cowboy. However at your age I suppose a little fun wouldn't hurt".

"I'm twenty seven!" I exasperate. "Anyway, I'm not man hunting while I'm living here - I'm supposed to be looking after you".

She scoffs at this. "No harm in window shopping honey, and look after me my ass, I'm perfectly fine".

"So you keep saying, although I saw you the other day trying to move a box when I wasn't looking". I scold. "You need to do as the doc says and sit your ass down. Rest".

"Rest is for the weak".

"No, it's for the people who don't want to run the risk of another fucking stroke". I quip back. No way am I letting her win this disagreement. She just eyes me grumpily but doesn't say anything else.

"Go get out there and find a guy to ride". She waves me away and I sigh.

"Jo..."

"No, no - you're right". She says and sits down on the sofa. "I'm just so damn bored".

I feel bad for ditching her on a Friday night. "Do you wa-".

"Don't you dare suggest you stay, you go out and let your hair down. You need it". She smiles. "Maybe tomorrow evening we can get take out".

"Because that'll be great for your heart". I smirk and nod. "Alright, but you need anything then you call me ok? Don't you even think for a moment about feeling like you don't matter".

Really it should be my mom who's here helping her. But she's swanned off on her yearly cruise complete with new husband, because priorities right? It's amazing to compare her and Joanne. My mother is the high flyer, married my dad who was one before he went and died, then she got more money than she knew what to do with. If anything, I think my dad's death sent her a little mad. She doesn't like to talk about him and after only three months of dating this new guy, she went and got married.