『 CHAPTER 2 』

Tsurugi did not miss the way Sangoku stared at you. His eyes narrowed but held a gleam of interest.

You looked around and waved again. Then, you fumbled through your bag and brought a whiteboard. A few of the members understood its purpose.

"Ah, [Name]-chan! How about using our whiteboard? It's a lot more larger," Haruna offered.

You oh'ed, then nodded. You gave your whiteboard to Aoi to hold, before walking to the club's board, and wrote down with your marker the following:

"Nice to meet you all! As you know, I'm [Surname] [Name]! Can I — " you paused; your face scrunched up to remember something "— know your names? Oh, write it down there!"

You pointed to your own whiteboard.

"O-oh, we will," Shindou said. "One by one everyone!"

They passed the whiteboard down after writing their name each. You took back your board and scanned the room again as you counted the people in the room. You noticed Tsurugi and went up to him.

Sangoku paled. "[Nickname] ⸺"

"[Nickname]?" the others chimed.

Sangoku clenched his fists. The cats' out of the bag.

Tsurugi watched as you came up to him with her whiteboard. You pointed at it.

"I'll kick his butt if he does anything to her," Midori grumbled. Akane and Aoi shared a nervous laughter; trying to convince that it wouldn't be a good idea and example in front of a new student.

Tsurugi stared, and so did you. Then, Tsurugi snatched the marker and wrote his name down on the board. He threw the marker back, and you caught it. You smiled, bowing towards Tsurugi.

You turned to everyone else and bowed, too.

"Oh, you're, um, welcome...?" Kirino cuts the silent air.

You nodded. You turned the whiteboard around and wrote down on the extra free space:

"Any questions?"

Minamisawa raised his hand, and you pointed at him with your marker.

"Do you and Sangoku know each other?"

"Minamisawa -⸺" Sangoku began.

You nodded. Everyone gasped.

"Eh?! Since when?!" Tenma asked.

You turned to Sangoku. Sangoku flinched, but he could get your signal. He tried not to look nervous, despite the fact he was rubbing his neck. He let out a little sigh.

"We're childhood friends, actually."

Another wave of gasps. But no other questions could be asked, for Kudou clapped his hands; gained their attention, to inform them that they were to head out to the field.

One by one, they left on orders. You slipped in note into Sangoku's hand. He looked at your leaving figure before opening up the note.

"I'll explain later. Please, meet me at you-know-where after school."

The note crumpled up in his hands.

♡ --- ♡ --- ♡

You tapped Kirino on his shoulder. He turned to you, noticing the towel and bottle in your hands.

"Oh, thank you, [Surname]-san."

You hummed before skipping away to gather up any empty bottles.

"So ... how long have you known [Name]-chan, Sangoku-senpai?" Tenma asked.

The others perked up their ears, too. Sangoku smiled awkwardly. He glanced at the ground.

"About, if I remembered, 6 years ago or so. We've actually known each other since we were little kids."

"So young!" Shinsuke commented. "How was she like, younger?"

Sangoku paused. "Younger . . . Well, she was an energetic one like you two. Oh, and she had a big appetite, too."

"Was she cute?"

"Of course!"

"Wow, he said it with no hesitation."

Kudou blew the whistle. The team gets back on the field after they give their towels and bottles to their managers. Yamane cheered on for Shindou as usual, Midori cheered on for everyone, and Aoi joined in after.

You watched in silence awe at their skills at play. You and Sangoku made eye contact, so you smiled.

Sangoku looked away. His ears tinted pink despite the frown on his face.

It was then you realised. Where was Tsurugi-kun?

♡ --- ♡ --- ♡

The school bell rang.

You denied the offer to walk with Aoi, Tenma, and Shinsuke. You had somewhere to be after all.

You ran outside the school, keeping your speed in check. You stopped at the gate, hoping to wait for Sangoku. But you didn't see him several minutes passed, so you figured he went to their meet-up spot.

Thus, you went there too. A special little spot since you two were kids. If the Inazuma River was for the soccer lovers, then the Inazuma Sakura meadow was for you and Sangoku.

You found him under the largest sakura tree of the meadow. The both of you would play there, one of your many vivid memories.

"Ah, ah, Chi."

Sangoku turned at the sound of your voice. His eyes softened.

"Really. So you really are her? [Nickname]?"

You nodded. Sangoku clenched his fists, looking down.

"But ... how? You ⸺ that day ⸺ I was at your funeral! With mom! Your tomb, your mother's tomb! They were there...!"

He looked back up again and was met with your reply on a notebook.

"It's true. I did die. But I rose again."

"You ... what now?"

You suddenly wiped your face. His eyes widened further. Your [s/c] complexion was gone and smudge, revealing the ashen shade and discoloured grey of your actual skin. Burnt marks littered your cheek in a triangular mark. Stitches were across your neck, a quarter on your face, and some on your fingers.

Your eyes drooped, eyebags evident underneath. You revealed the back page of your note:

"Chi-senpai, I'm a zombie now."

Then your eyes widened, and you let out an incoherent screech when Sangoku fainted.