『 CHAPTER 16 』

"[Nickname], are you okay? Your eyebags are more apparent now...."

You blinked, before you nodded to Sangoku's question as you rubbed your eyes. You signed to him that you and Yuukoku actually ended playing past your bedtime, since a zombie like you become much more energetic at night, that you couldn't conserve much energy for the morning and almost overslept. Thus, you also rushed to put on your makeup.

Sangoku ah'ed. "Well, we still have a few more minutes before morning practice, so come on, I'll help fix your makeup."

You smiled gratefully.

You two stood near one of the trees in the school. Sangoku grabbed for a compact mirror and a spray of your skin tone. While you held onto the mirror, Sangoku applied the spray foundation around your eyes. He then brought out a tissue to level the amount he applied.

"There. How is it?"

You looked into the mirror. You gave a thumbs up. Sangoku sighed in relief.

"Looks like I'm getting better at this."

And you couldn't agree more. With a prep to your step, you and Sangoku made your way to the clubroom, hand in hand.

♡ --- ♡ --- ♡

"Good morning [Surname]!"

You jumped. You quickly waved when Hamano and Hayami came your way. Well, Hayami looked quite scared when approaching you.

You brought out your board again. "Um, is Hayami-senpai okay?"

Hayami stuttered, "N-n-no, I mean, yes — ah, I'm sorry!"

You crocked an eyebrow. While Hayami hid further behind his friend, Hamano scratched his head. "Oh, don't mind Hayami much. He's just ... still spook from the Mannouzaka match when your head, you know...."

You gasped. "Oh! That! I'm so sorry, Hayami-senpai! But that was the only way I could get to stun our opponent. Besides, it was just a hissatsu."

"A scary one..." Hayami whimpered, then quickly tried to stand straight. His cheeks reddened. "B-but please don't get me wrong [Surname]-san! I don't think you're scary!"

You waved his words away. "I don't find offence to it. But I'm glad you don't find me scary because of it. Anyway, let's hurry on for training."

"Right! We should hurry!" Hamano said.

Sangoku joined the three of you later as you headed to the field, and you got to learn that Hamano and Hayami would go fishing together sometime. You were delighted when they offered that you could come join their fishing time.

Your seniors are opening up to you, bit by bit.

♡ --- ♡ --- ♡

The moment Shinsuke shared with the seniors that he planned to make a hissatsu, they all agreed to help him. Kirino, who's still in recovery from his ankle injury done by the last match, had chosen to monitor your progress.

He watched your happy face as you kicked the ball around. Your smile reminded him of when he and Shindou were younger, when they were free to play however they wanted.

He reflected on this. When did his courage to fight back first begin to fall? It was quite the blur.

He blamed himself for those nights, and held little hope like the others before that things could change for the better. He frowned.

His gaze to his fists shifted towards you. He stood up when you slipped, but forunately Kurama was nearby to catch you. Kurama scolded you to be more careful, and your reply was to nod, scratch your head, and smile, although somewhat awkward.