『 CHAPTER 40 』

You laid under the leaf covers.

Sangoku sat by your side. He had placed the charm you gave on your chest. He noticed your bandages about to be undone. So, carefully, he fixed it. He was glad to hear your snores, since your chest wouldn't rise up and down.

"Chi."

Sangoku looked up. His eyes widened when he saw the Kamezaki brothers. In Kokappa's hands was a bucket of cool water. Sangoku blinked twice, then he smiled, tired yet grateful.

"Thank you."

♡ --- ♡ --- ♡

Aoi looked to the cave you were in right now.

Midori pat her on the shoulder. "Worried, ey?"

Aoi nodded.

Midori smiled bitterly. "We all are."

Aoi looked around her. The boys were resting like you were while a few, like Amagi and Kurumada, actually fell asleep. That was as much as they could do with their bruises and their worry over you.

Kariya poked the ground with a stick, having lost count how many times he drew over a blueprint of a new plushie for you.

Tsurugi gently kicked the pebbles off the ground.

Shindou played air piano with his fingers, staring off into the ground.

Aoyama and Ichinose watched over the boiling curry.

Nishiki ate his rice balls in a surprisingly slow manner.

Kirino did then undid one of his pigtails on repeat.

Shinsuke laid his back against Tenma. The two passed the ball back and forth with their hands.

Then things became blurry. Aoi sighed, wiping away her tears. It was harder to keep them at bay when she recalled your expression during your rage.

She saw it. How angered you were ⸺ how upset you were.

And she wondered how much of the match made you felt that way?

The bushes rustled. Everyone perked up, thinking it'd be the adults, before deflating when they saw it was Shuu and Hakuryuu. Since the boys were tired, the managers stood up. Akane and Aoi glared, but their glares weren't as sharp as Midori's.

Arms crossed, Midori sneered, "What do you two want?"

Shuu elbowed Hakuryuu. The latter winced then glared at the former. "We're in this together, you," he hissed. Hakuryuu quickly cleared up his throat though when Midori pulled up her sleeves.

"Ahem, we ... came here to check up on your friend, [Surname]."

"Yeah, no." Midori turned away from them. "[Name]'s busy sleeping, like most of us are. So don't disturb her with those punchable faces of yours and leave."

"I ⸺"

"I think it's best we give them more space, Hakuryuu."

Hakuryuu looked at Shuu with disbelief. But, from Shuu's serious gaze, Hakuryuu sighed. He relented in. And so, the two left.

Night fell.

The adults finally returned to see that the team had fallen asleep. With soft gazes, the adults helped moved each of the members to a more comfortable sleeping space.

Endou went to stock up the fire. While he was doing so, he was approached by Kabeyama.

"Um, Endou."

"Yeah Kabeyama?"