『 CHAPTER 43 』

Yuukoku lifted his head away from his arms when he heard the doorbell. Peering through from your bedroom window, he saw the figures of Haruna, Kidou, and Shindou.

He sighed, standing up. "[Name], I need to go greet some guests. It won't be long, okay?" he said to your unconscious body on your bed. As there was no use in waiting for your reply, he then headed down to unlock the gates and let the guests in.

He gestured for them to sit on the couch. When Yuukoku asked what drinks they wanted, there, Kidou shot his mark:

"I'll cut to the chase. [Name] isn't particularly human, is she?"

Yuukoku stood there. Finally, after a short silence, he said, "It's the time now, huh?"

"W-what time, Yuukoku-san?" Haruna asked.

"To tell you what you need to know."

♡ --- ♡ --- ♡

Ah, so that's why, Shindou thought, with a droop of his eyes after Yuukoku's explanation. Why you were affected by the geyser in the water stadium, why you couldn't speak well, why you had went berserk at the island, why Shindou didn't collapsed at the field yesterday despite how tired he was, why you didn't awake yesterday too. You had devoured, and you shared your energy with those you found threatened by and those you cared like him. That's why.

"Will the Yang part override her again at some point?" Kidou interjected.

Yuukoku sighed. "I'm not quite sure, but I can't deny it will happen again if she's unable to control her darker urges. She only rampaged then at island, I assume, from her concern for her teammates."

Shindou's grip around the cup tightened. "Will ... she wake up in time?"

"In time for your final match? I don't think so. Ah, but she will wake up. She didn't waste her energy."

"Energy ... You mentioned before that she's a regular zombie, but from what I've recalled in these recent matches, she's able to absorb the energy from others' kenshin. You —"

Yuukoku cut Kidou off. "I know, I can't classify that as a general zombie antic. I'd say, her ability to devour others' energy yet share her own might come from the effects of the ritual I performed on her."

"The ritual?" Shindou stiffened.

"A modified Jiangshi ritual. It's possible she must have been granted a Jiangshi-like power alongside her soul. This explains to me too the Ying and Yang balance within her heart."

Kidou looked down in deeper thought.

Yuukoku held back a sigh. "I understand if you want to kick her off the team, but please don't tell—"

"We won't tell anyone."

"Oh?"

"Nor are we going to kick her off the team."

Shindou almost sighed. He glanced at Kidou, like the rest, for him to continue:

"I understand the reason why you'd hide this kind of secret. As much as we've seen peculiar things before, fake aliens being one of those, they're still considered peculiar and thus can scare the public. As for kicking her off, it's not fair to do that to her just because she's different."