five.

Everyone was in shock. Herschel's family had a hard time coping with the indefinite loss of their family. Yes they were walkers and they were dangerous. But they are their family. Alive or alive dead, you don't want your family to be shot and killed in front of you. It was heartbreaking. I don't think I could deal with seeing any one I cared about die for a second time. If I saw my mother die for a second time even though I hated her it would destroy me. If he died again then I have no idea how I would react. The first time was bad enough. Carol was cooped up in her tent, balling her eyes out at the loss of her only child, the only thing she had lived for through her abusive marriage. That part of her was completely gone. Her old life had been erased off the cuff.

Daryl sat outside Carol's tent like a guard dog. Protecting her from any unwanted visitors. She wanted to be alone which made sense but she also needed someone to be there for her. I hope she knew I was there to sympathise with her. Daryl was too. Everyone thought he was selfish, closed off but he cared. He just didn't show it. That's about the only thing I admire about him. How he cares even though he puts up a tough front. I could see past that thick wall of his. I was just the same after my mother's death. "I'm gonna go hunt for some food." I announced to him, "What's Carol's favourite meat?" It was the least I could do for her. Get her favourite food so she can at least grieve with a good comfort food. He grunts at me like I understood grunt language. "I don't speak grunt." I replied.

He shakes his head, his head hanging between his knees. Nice to know. I guess I will get anything. "Cool. I'll get whatever then." I respond to his lack of response. Walking off, I secure a gun into my belt and grip my axe in my hand. I hope whatever I could find Carol would enjoy. "Wait up will ya" Daryl calls me from the distance as he rushes over to get his crossbow swinging by the side of him. "Can't be losing anymore people." He was right, going out there alone could lead to me dying. I couldn't put any more grief on these people. He shifts his weight between his feet and bites his lip. "I.. we need ya'." He struggles out choking on his words slightly. Daryl opened up about how important I was for the group. I knew this was difficult as he usually just forgot I existed or threw out insults to me. I send him a small smile as we begin off into the woods. "She likes deer or owls best." He mutters. Good information. Better than late than never with the reply. At least I had something to work with rather than 'grunt'.

Quietly striding through the woods, Daryl kept a stark eye out for an animal that Carol would enjoy eating. I wondered why he cared so much about Carol. He didn't show anyone else the time of day. "You and Carol, huh?" I questioned him. I had to know if they were a thing.

"It's nothing." He shoots back as he lifts his crossbow up and shoots down a bird from the tree. It quickly plummeted to the floor and Daryl bent down to retrieve his arrow. "You sure cause-" I get cut off.

"We ain't a thang." He apts. His voice is husky and deeper than usual. "Ain't my type." Daryl looks me up and down before quickly looking away. His arms gripped his crossbow and his muscles flexed. I couldn't help but watch them flex. I love sleeveless shirts. He turns round to face me and I quickly lick my drool back up and try to act as if I hadn't been caught red handed. Shit. Get a hold of yourself, Kaia. Daryl stares at my face and his cheeks flush pink before he turns away from, continuing on through the woods. Was he blushing? Or was I seeing things? Maybe I was still in my horny daze and misread things. "You should wear sleeveless shirts more often." I wink at him as we walk side by side.

"Stop." He growls rubbing his hand across his face concealing his smile.

"Why am I making you blush?" I tease and elbow him in the side lightly. "Wanna mess around?" I snort. I loved teasing this man. I loved how he squirmed when I made a comment. It was as if he had no female attention his whole life which shocked me because he wasn't bad looking. Daryl shook his head smiling, "Shut up." He lets out a huff. I did and it was good timing since I spotted a deer chewing on a pasture in the middle of the woods. Silently, I brought Daryl down close to the ground as we hid behind a long bit of grass. I moved my hand to my holster for my gun but a twig snapped as I did. The deer looked up for a moment before returning back to the pasture.