twenty-one.

Up in the watch tower, I place a large scrap of metal around the perimeter of the fence to ensure extra safety when reloading up here. We had to be prepared for everything. The sun was sweltering and beads of sweat trickled down the back of my neck. My top buttons were undone from my Henley shirt to try and get more air to my body to atleast try to cool me down. Ash was busy helping with Carol who seemed to like him quite a bit. I was glad the group was starting to like him because in all honesty I wanted him to stay. I don't think I could cope with another person leaving. I'd never know if I would ever see them again.

Propping up another piece of scrap metal against the fence, my eyes wander over the field and land on Rick who was staring beyond the fence. He was fixated on something beyond it. Dropping down, I peer over the metal as Rick looks around. I had to know what he was looking at and I needed to be prepared. Suddenly, he begins running out of the gates and out near the edge of the forrest. My heart beats fast as I anticipate on who or what it could be. He stops on the bridge next to the small river just before the woods.

Michonne wanders towards the gates as she watches him. Rick puts his hand up as if he was holding someone's face but the person wasn't there. He looked relieved and almost at peace as he did so. The samurai glanced up at me peering over the piece of scrap metal and I drop down in hope she didn't see it was me. But my luck was not high when I was so clearly spying on what Rick was doing. He didn't seem right. He did the same thing last night after he dropped the baby to me so he could take watch. Or more like live his delusions out. He was acting like a teenage girl pretending to be on a date with her middle aged celebrity crush who would never know she existed. Some shit I definitely did as a teen but that wasn't as bad as this.

Creaking, the door to the watch tower opens and a pair of footsteps make their way up the stairs. Fuck, she did see me. Michonne emerges from the door and tilts her head at me. I fake a smile at her and lean my back against the fence. "So you saw it too?" She asks and I nod.

"He's mental." I rub my hands over my sweaty face. God, the sun was going to melt me like the wicked witch of the west. "He's the captain of this little ship and he's gone through shit. He needs a break."

"And you don't?" She tilts her head at me.

"What?" I shoot back, feeling a bit offended. She shrugs her shoulders at me. What does she mean? I don't need a break. I haven't even thought about things that have happened these past few days. I haven't thought about him at all. It's not like I've been staying in his guard tower or anything. I don't miss him. I have Ash now and that's all the matters. Right? Brushing my sweaty palms on my jeans, I stand up with a sigh before pushing past the samurai. I couldn't take her silence. It felt like judgement.

Slamming the door open, I storm around the field with my hands over my face as I sigh. BANG! I drop to the floor and pull my gun from my pocket. Crawling, I push myself behind the fallen van and glance over the side. That one eyed shit head. Fuck sake! A hand lands on my shoulder and I spin back with my gun aimed right at his head. I take a breather as I realise it was Ash. He nods at me and passes me a rifle. Loading the gun up, I peer through the scope and line it up with the Governor's men before letting the gun go rapid.

The Governor shoots like a madman on crack as he bites his lip. Gunshots stop for a minute as we load our guns. Shooting at the men, I line my aim straight at one of their heads and set fire. He drops to the floor and the Governor looks at his henchman with no emotion. The sound of a car becomes louder and louder as the Governor smiles. I reload my gun and line it up with his head before steadying myself. One shot and it's all over. Come on, Kaia. Suddenly, a small van pounds through the front gates into the field before stopping. I pull myself away from the van and watch the van as the boot opens.