thirteen.

"You're lucky." Hershel tells me, "If I hadn't of popped this arm back into place properly, you might have lost mobility in it." He wraps my arm in a makeshift sling telling me to take it easy these next few days. Take it easy? How could you take it easy in days like this? It was impossible. If people needed me, then I would not hesitate to cause more damage to my shoulder than just sit there and do nothing to protect them.

Hershel gives me a small smile before scooting over a bit on the limp mattress. The weather had really gotten bad now. The temperatures had dropped completely in the max of a few days which had me concerned for Carl's health (and also little Rascal's). Hopefully the coats we stocked up on a few weeks ago were good enough to keep us all warm in the harsh conditions of winter.

Hershel places a hand on my shoulder gently. "I know I'm not a doctor for humans or even a psychologist but if you need to talk about what happened then I will offer you my unconditional support." Hershel nods at me, "You're just as important as my two girls." Slowly meeting Hershel's eyes, my tears well up in my eyes. This was the same man who didn't even want me in his house or even on his farm at all a few months ago. And now he was telling me I was as important as his two girls. His two daughters he loved with all his heart and he thought I was as important as them. Something turnt on my waterworks as I tap him on the shoulder before wiping my eyes with my free hand.

Standing up, I laugh nervously at my tears streaming out my face and Hershel engulfs me in a light hug. His hand rubbing my back before moving away and wiping my tears from my eyes with his wrinkled hands. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset something in you." He looks at me in genuine concern.

"No, no, you haven't." I try to calm myself, "You think I'm important." A wobbling sob erupts out of me. Hershel thought I was important. "Gosh, I'm being so silly." I wipe my tears away with the end of my clean shirt.

"It isn't silly to have emotions, Kaia. Remember that." He tells me, "It's what makes us humans." Hershel smiles before exiting the cold room. We had moved to another house a few nights ago which didn't secure our safety considering the herd of walkers always found us somehow. The house was a hepatitis risk to even be in a five mile radius of which had me nervous about Carl getting anything. Hopefully he was all vaxxed up to date but knowing Lori he had been triple vaccinated against everything 3 times over.

Snapping my head towards the creaking door, Daryl knocks before entering. He leans in the doorway. His lean body flexing as he holds himself up against the door frame. My eyes drifted to every part of his body, unable to focus on one thing. His outgrown hair sweeps over his forehead and for the first time in forever you could see his deep, blue eyes. Even in temperatures of the antarctic, he still wore a sleeveless shirt that shows off his powerful arms, which made my mouth water uncontrollably. My wonder down under felt giddy at the sight of him and my eyes felt blessed. But he did not seem as pleased to look at me as I was to see him.

Those blue eyes are the most vibrant and as expressive I've seen, every emotion and every memory is so clear and distinct. It was as if you could catch a glimpse of his soul and every emotion he holds within him. When they look back at me, right now, I had no idea what emotion he was feeling. Majority of the time, I could sense how he felt by looking deep into his eyes but now they looked like a mixture of all things.

"Just gonna stand and stare at me or you gonna say hi." I remark with a smirk causing my bruised cheek bone to hurt. Daryl looks down and rubs his hands over his face. But his eyes don't falter from staring back at me again. "You better take a picture because I'm not gonna be sat here forever." I try to smile, "Well maybe not now because I look like a fucking mess." I force out a chuckle.

Looking down, I falter between a smile and a frown too unsure what emotion to show. If I shown how I really felt, he'd think I was weak and that would make him think I was no capable. I am capable. I didn't need emotional support or any support at all. I didn't have time to show feelings when there was an apocalypse happening. An icy cold hand touches my jaw softly and tilts it up to meet those emotional eyes. He looked over my face and tentatively ran his finger over my bruises. It was true. I looked like a complete mess.