twenty-five.

Removing Judith from her plastic bassinet, I cradle her into my arms to savour what might be the last time I see her. It wasn't going to be though. We are going to kick the Governor's ass today whether they like it or not. Ash had left late last night after helping us make this place look unused which I was grateful for. He took what I told him like a champ but I guess he has always been like that. Daryl wasn't great at night. As soon as we got back, he pretended as if nothing happened and rushed off to bed. He ignored me as I tried to check in on him several times. Maybe he just needed his space.

Leaning against the doorway of Carl's cell, I watch him as he turns over a picture frame in his hands before noticing me and then shoving it into his sack. "You ready?" I ask him and he nods slowly before getting up. He hauls his sack over his shoulder and I stop him at the door way. His bright blue eyes looked up at me and I could tell he was bad. I had never seen him this bad, not even when Lori passed. I pull him into my side and rub his bag to try and give him some comfort. "Everything will be alright." I assured him but it sounded like I was reassuring myself too.

I pat him on the back lightly and his sad eyes flickered to the ground. "Let's go." I try to force a smile and we begin to set off outside. Pulling Judith closer to me, Carl walks past quickly with a grump look on his face.

"Carl." Rick grabs his arm but he just pulls it away. Carl adjusts his bag as he storms away from his Dad. Rick watches him with concern as he walks away and he then glances over to me.

"He's bad again, Rick." I shake my head, "He's just a kid."

Rick nods slowly as he looks at his son in the distance, "Everyone seems to forget he's just a kid." It was hard to remember Carl was so young when he acted so mature for his age. A 12 year old should not be killing walkers and putting down his Mom. He's put up with so much and it hurts my heart that he can't just be a normal 12 year old kid. "How'd it go last night?" Rick asks and my heart sinks a bit as I look over to Daryl.

I tilt my head and Rick nods. He knew it was bad since Merle wasn't here, he just needed it confirmed. "Gave us a chance, though." I mutter before making my way over to the boot of the car. Charlie was saying goodbye to Beth as she tried to haul as much stuff into the boot as she could.

"Promise you'll be safe." Beth pleads.

"Of course. Can't leave my best friend alone now, can I?" He leans against the car trying to look cool and I couldn't help but snort a little. He snaps his head to me and he immediately becomes red.

"How are you, couple of besties?" I tease, nudging Charlie in the arm, careful of Judith. He sighs and smiles.

"Great." He nods, "Just two best friends." He looks down at his feet and shoves his hands in his pockets.

"Could you get Judith ready please?" I ask Beth nicely.

"Of course." She smiles down at the precious baby before she takes her from my arms. Beth pulls herself aside from everyone and I nudge Charlie.

"What?" He complains. I shrug my shoulders at him with a little smile.

"Nothing." I shake my head, "Can't leave my best friend alone now, can I?" I mock him which causes him to cringe at his own actions, "Char, you're so bad at this. You have no mojo at all."

"I have mojo." He argues back and I raise my eyebrows at him. Of course you do, Charlie, of course. "I do." He says again, "Don't I?"

"Not a chance." I shake my head as I sort out the mess of the boot.

"And of course you do, don't you. Queen of Charisma. That's why you don't have any friends." He sasses back.

"I have friends." I assure him. I do have friends, right? Before this I wasn't very popular so I couldn't count them.