Why? Part 8

Easter Holiday was finally there, most of the students left Eden's dormitory to celebrate in their houses. And Damian was one of these students. On Thursday evening, Jeeve came and took his little master to Desmond's mansion.

Entering the car, Damian was still feeling uneasy about spending the holiday with his family. Memories of last year and the year before rushed in his mind as the car started its journey to the mansion.

 He remembered how both his parents fought and went their separate ways when he was just four. It was a few days before Easter back then; he was playing with his Griffin doll in his bedroom when he heard shouting downstairs. Shouting and plates smashing and swearing. He was shaking as the sound went louder, and feared going out to see what's going on.

Later that night, he heard one of the maids talking to her co-workers about the fight. She said that Ms. Melinda stormed out of the house saying that she will never come near this place again, slapping the door behind her so hard. Another maid was saying that the reasons of the fight were unknown, but obviously it wasn't cheating judging by how calm Mr. Donovan was during the blow up of his wife. Other maids were talking about how cruel these parents were towards their little son, how heartless the mother was being as she left without even saying goodbye to her children.

Damian couldn't sleep after that. At midnight, he was trembling and sobbing in his room, hugging his doll so tight to his chest. 

Since that night, a somber atmosphere has wrapped the whole mansion. His father was hiding in the shadows from both the exterior world and his sons; distancing himself especially from Damian. His brother was always at school and hardly came back home during holidays.

Damian was living lonely since then, counting the days till his orientation. He wanted to prove himself. He wanted his parents to acknowledge him. He studied so hard and collected Stella stars. He wanted those happy days to return.
When his mother was there for him...

"Master Damian, we arrived" said Jeeve, snapping him off of his memories.

Damian swallowed, his muscles tensing as he approached the entrance door. The huge mansion seemed as haunted as ever. He couldn't believe that this was where he used to live before. The trees were cut off and the roses he used to care for were dead.

As expected no one welcomed him once he stepped into the house except the maids. Hiding his disappointment, Damian hurried to his room and laid on his bed, burying his face in his pillow.
I won't cry. He repeated to himself. However soon enough warm tears were running down his cheeks.

When dinner time came, the boy went downstairs hoping to see someone. However, as soon as he entered the dining room, Only one plate was served. The maid told him that Mr. Donovan was in a meeting and Master Demetrius was attending the meeting too.

Losing his appetite, the boy went back to his room to get some sleep.

Why would Demetrius be attending meetings?

Why would father need him when he's still a high-school student?

•°•°•

Damian spent the following two days in his room. Since every member of his family was absent, he found it practical to busy himself reading books and preparing for the finals. He needed distraction, and studying was the perfect one.

On Saturday night, the boy decided to call his mother. He wanted to hear her voice, he wanted to ask if she'll be attending the family dinner tomorrow. Unluckily, once he dialed her number, a maid answered him saying that her lady was out of the house. Sighing in disappointment he didn't want to leave a message and quickly hung up. After all, she had never answered his messages ever since she left the house.