Why? part 9

"WHAT?" both Damian and Donovan screamed, simultaneously.

Damian was taken aback, his mouth gaping wide open in shock. Not only did his brother just reveal his secret to their father, but he was actually aware of the whole 'Anya thing' this whole time; like he was stalking him or even having someone spying on him. But this couldn't be true, could it? After all, Damian was sure that he didn't run into his brother, or even had seen him once at school since their orientation. So how had he had the opportunity to see him with Anya?

Shaking his head to throw away these thoughts, the boy decided that this wasn't the time to think about how Demetrius managed to discover his secret. After all, he needed to focus on how to deal with his Father and the bomb his brother had just thrown.

Suddenly, his father cleared his throat gaining their attention:

"Explanation" was the only word that escaped the old man's mouth. His tone was stern and ice-cold and his face remained emotionless. No one could tell whether he was angry, indifferent or both.

A heavy atmosphere wrapped the whole place as both sons remained silent. Their father was looking at them expectantly waiting for an answer. Under his gaze, Damian felt nervous, his pulse was racing and his hands were sweaty.

What Demetrius has just said is true, and I don't care if you disagree with this relationship! She is my girlfriend and you don't have the right to intervene! She's a commoner, so what? Why all of the sudden are you interested in me, in my life?

Shaking his head mentally in disapproval, the boy concluded that it was not the best choice to do so. He had never talked and looked at his father in the eyes, let alone burst out and say something similar. He wasn't brave. He was a coward.

Despite his countless attempts to speak up his mind, his mouth remained dry and no word escaped. If only he had someone has his back. Why was he supposed to fight alone? Why was he always left unsupported? A wild idea sparkled in his mind and he slowly raised his head and turned to face Demetrius; he felt vulnerable, helpless and wanted to plead his brother, tell him to intervene and rescue him.

However once he looked at him, he found a smirk plastered on his brother's face and a clear amusement glint in his eyes.

Oh.

Damian felt humiliated, as the thought of his brother purposefully putting him in such a position slapped him right in the face. He felt stupid to even think that he will ever have his brother's back. He felt broken even more. This world was cruel, and despite growing among the riches, his life was merciless, miserable...

Wasn't it enough to ignore me my whole life? Why steal from me the only person that makes me happy? The only person that I most care about, love and that makes me feel whole?

He had never drawn his brother as a monster; he believed that he was different, he believed or tried to believe that there was a glint of hope in this house, that no matter how dark its corners and halls were, there should be a tiny window for him to achieve the light. That was stupid; he was definitely an idiot to think that he would find light in this house. No one ever noticed him leave alone support him and guide him...

And now that his secret was revealed and his only reason to live was within the hands of the devil, the only drop of hope that remained in his heart vanished. He knew well that the fact of his father discovering his secret will never end well. His father will never approve this. He was supposed to be left in the dark unnoticed, unacknowledged; yet this girl noticed him and drew his life with different shades of vivid colors. This was against the destiny that his father wanted.

No one was supposed to fill Damian's heart with hope, joy and love. His heart was supposed to be filled with hatred and disgust toward the commoners, toward life...