Chapter One

“Let’s get one thing straight: I’m not

Growing up in a masculine/testosterone filled home put a lot of pressure on me. Our fathers always instilled certain teachings, teachings they also got from their father. I remember grandpa, we would visit him every holiday and each night, he would call my brothers and I, and we would sit and listen to him teach us about the value of life. 

I was young back then, sometimes I would barely understand what he meant but when I sit down and recall all those nights, I realise it’s the reason why all the men in this family are successful, but also why we have flaws, secrets and probably some underlying mental health issues. But hey, I’m 24, I’m a multi-millionaire with houses, cars and shares in companies around the world.

I was born into riches; it’s always been a part of my life. I actually became a millionaire at age 12, along with all my other siblings after grandpa passed away. It didn’t matter to me though; I would only be able to get access to that money after I completed my degree. Yes, our money came with terms and conditions, but I say this again, it’s the reason we are so successful. 

My older brother Mvelo completed his degree at 22, immediately scoring him the seat as CEO at Mthiyane Construction. At 23, he got married, a marriage that didn’t last for even a year. They got at only 6 months. We expected it, but we didn’t expect it as soon as six months. My brother had flaws, he was his father’s son, he was Kabelo’s son. We thought it was the end of him, the way he was handling the whole thing, we really lost hope, but they did the unthinkable and got back together. Him and Christine have been together for 10 years now. They are building their empire and raising their beautiful daughters, my lovely nieces Paloma and Zita.

Then there’s Andile, the rich one with no direction. Andile has wits, he is both book smart and street smart but the fact that he never had an adventurous childhood like Mvelo did has taken him at least 3 steps backwards, hence he is the one with no direction. After getting his degree at 23, he also became an intern at Mthiyane Construction. That is when he started partying and exploring all the aspects of life he had missed out in high school. He got so out of hand that when he got a hold of the Taxi business, no one could get him out of it. Other than being a 34-year-old man with millions in his account, a gold-digging girlfriend, he’s a violent taxi driver who has no direction, no aspirations or ambitions.

After Andile is Melisizwe, the serial cheater. We are only a few months apart, my best buddy. Week after week, it’s a new girl. God forbid he gets a disease because at the rate he’s going, anything is possible. Don’t get me wrong, I love my brother, in fact, I’m closer to him than all my other brothers, but the choices he makes really don’t excite me.

And last but not least, the three pension babies, Sanele, Nkosenhle and Nkosenye. I say pension babies because they were born last, ironically, all in the same year. First it was Sanele, who was a mystery in my mother’s tummy for a full nine months. Then Nkosenhle and Nkosenye were twins out of triplets, if that makes any sense. Bab’Vusi and Mamncane had triplets, two boys and one girl.

The men in this family always have children at the same time. Mvelo and Andile are only a few months apart, Melisizwe and I as well. His mom was nine months pregnant when I was three months old. Now I’m sure you can imagine the amount of chaos in this family. Three sets of parents, seven sisters and six highly toxic brothers. Welcome to my life.