Chapter Thirteen

What you seek is seeking you

Helo and Hlelo stayed for quite a long time, they only left around midday. She didnt tell me where she was going because I asked a couple of times, but she kept on brushing me off. Mthonga is also still here, and he sat with all three of us while Helo and I just caught up on life. Now we were just relaxing in the lounge, getting to know each other better than we already do. I was sitting in between his legs, with him on the carpet. My phone rang from the other side of the table. I grabbed it and it was mom; she was Facetiming me. I got up in a haste and plopped myself on the couch.

Hi mom. I fabricated a smile.

Hello my boy. How are you? I looked at Mthonga and he was stifling a laugh.

Im good MaMfusi. I saw dad walking in the background.

Tell that boy to come home. He shouted.

Dad you should just say you miss me. Mom laughed. Empty nest fever has got them.

Eyy you two, call each other in your own time, this is my call. She said with a smile on her face. I actually miss my parents.

You never visit us anymore. Do you have a girlfriend now? I looked at Mthonga briefly before chortling.

Ive been busy with work, and your house is so far from us. I whined.

When has that ever been an excuse. Your brother almost left without coming here, what do you call that. If it wasnt for Christine, they wouldve left without coming here.

Khauhelo was here earlier and said that you are going to Johannesburg with them.

Your father and Mvelwenhle ganged up against me and said no. I shook my head.

Ill come by tomorrow and see you. Ngikuphatheleni? Her face lit up like she was a little child.

Just my son please. I miss him.

Okay Mama. I love you. I said, my heart feeling full and content.

I love you too son. She blew me kisses before she hung up.

I threw my phone on the couch and went back to where I was sitting. Mthonga was awfully quiet. I held his face and gave him a peck on the lips.

Are you okay? I asked him.

Im fine. He was cold and acting very strange.

Are you sure? I wrapped my arms around him.

Your relationship with your parents is beautiful. He said after a moment of silence.

I shriveled up, remembering that maybe I was being insensitive. I know that he doesnt have a strong relationship with his family. He never told though, he still feels uncomfortable sharing that part of his life with me, and I fully understand, I wont push him.

Thank you. I said trying not to sound bratty.

He pulled me closer to him and made me snuggle him. I did, our hard bodies against each other. His heart was beating fast against his chest, like he was scared of something.

I need to go home now. I felt my heart dropping to the pit of my stomach. I was getting used to being with him.

I understand. I said lowly.

I lifted my head and he leaned in for a kiss. I could still hear his heart pounding against his ribcage. Something wet my face and I knew that it was his tears. I wrapped my arms around him and held him tighter. He pulled out of the kiss and rested his head on the crevice of my shoulder. My heart broke, but I needed to be strong for him.