Chapter Eleven

Take the risk or lose the chance

I had a long day with the girls at the beach today. Even they are exhausted. They both passed out at the back, saved me the trip of going to buy them ice-cream. Mthonga has already knocked off by now, so I need to get home and get ready for our movie night.

Hawu, balele. Christine was surprised when I walked in carrying Zita.

Yes, Paloma is in the car. I said walking past her.

Haibo, you shouldve woken them up. They can walk by themselves. I laughed. I placed Zita on the couch and walked out to go and carry Paloma, but she was already walking inside the house.

Your mom is evil, uyambona. I said looking at her. She looked like a zombie.

Very evil. She replied walking past me. Shame poor thing.

I understand Zenkosi, but youve been pestering us about being a teenager, teenagers dont get carried out the car. Shes been telling everyone that shes turning thirteen next year and demands a grand party. To believe she was just a little baby a few years ago.

Leave my baby alone Chrissy. She dragged me through her teeth, and we walked back into the house.

I went to Helos room to say goodbye before I left, and she was sitting on the bed with the baby playing in front of her. She was on the phone.

Can I call you back Sthandwa sami. She said when she saw my face.

Dont take too long. She was talking to him. Sigh.

Can I come in? I asked after she dropped the call. She nodded and I let myself in.

I sat by her feet and her son came crawling to me. He was so beautiful, he looked so much like her, he had her big eyes and big nose. He had little to no hair on his head too, he got that from his fathers side of the family because KwaMfusi, hair is a thing.

Hello son. He giggled when I tickled him. Helo smiled a little.

Whats his name. its disappointing that he had to grow this old, and I dont know his name. Im only seeing him properly for the first time.

Shaka. I looked up at her.

Did mom give him a name? I asked.

Yes, Hlelolenkosi. But its not on his birth certificate. What a beautiful name. it actually suits him more than Shaka. Im guessing the baby daddy named him.

Ntsakisi Im sorry for everything that happened between us. From snooping around your things to ruining our relationship by drifting away and not giving you the privacy you deserve. Im sorry for not letting you be in your nephews life; I know how much you love children and how much you especially love our kids. Im sorry for not trying hard enough. I miss you so much bhuti, I miss the relationship we had. I stood up and went to engulf her in a tight hug.

Ngiyakuthanda mntaka Ma. That will never change. Now we have to make sure we dont go back to that place ever again. I said.

I love you too Bhuti. I kissed her forehead.

I sat and played with Hlelo for a little before I bid my goodbye to everyone and left to go back to my humble abode.

I wanna be wild and young

And not be afraid to lose

Cry on my own

Me and my bottle

These are the things I choose

But theyre

Watching me