Chapter Ten

“Life is a balance of holding on and letting go”

He knew the directions to the house; we didn’t get lost and it didn’t take us long to arrive. It was situated in the township, like a proper township. I can’t imagine my spoiled brat sister living in the township. A whole Khauhelo Mfusi degrading her standards to the township. There were a few double story houses on the road we were travelling on, and it was very quiet. The street was cleaner than the others, at least. We parked in front of a big one-story house. It was painted in yellow and trimmed in white. The yard was relatively clean, nicely trimmed grass and spotless yard. 
“Is this the place?” I asked as we climbed out the car.
“It’s his parents’ house, they left it for him.” I shook my head in disbelief.

He went to open the gate, but it was locked. He started rattling the chain. 

“Khauhelo!” he shouted. We came here without a plan, or at least I wasn’t briefed about a plan. I’m just here to support my sister and fight for her. 

It didn’t take long before we heard the door being opened roughly from the other side of the house. This Sipho guy was charging out the house, and Khauhelo was following behind him, trying to tie her robe.

“Sipho!” she tried running behind him, but he was walking fast. 
“Khauhelo, go pack your bags, you are going home.”-Mvelo.
“What are you doing here so early in the morning.”-Khauhelo. She had finally caught up to him and was standing behind him. These two though, Mvelo and Sipho were glaring at each other. 

This man was ugly, even uglier than dad. He was relatively fair in complexion, but he had scars and incisions on his face and chest. He was barefoot and naked, in only his boxer shorts. 

“Khauhelo, I said go pack your bags.”-Mvelo. He didn’t tear his eyes away from Sipho’s.
“Ntsakisi I asked you not to tell anyone.”-Khauhelo. She started weeping. This ugly man she calls a boyfriend pulled her behind him and spat on the ground.
“There is no woman leaving here. She is mine. She loves me. This woman will never leave me. Right Maka Shaka?”-Sipho. He wore a smirk on his face. 
“Vula leligate and face me like a man.”-Mvelo. 

Now I know nothing good will come out from that threat. He has a gun tucked in his waist.

“Mvelwenhle please, just go. Please.”-Khauhelo. He was making him happy. 
“Kuzouka isihlama Khauhelo. I will call Kabelo Mfusi, and he won’t be kind as I am.”-Mvelo. She was quick to jump out and she came and held on to the bars of the gate. Her eyes were swollen. 
“Please don’t call him.”-Khauhelo.
“Then go pack your bags. Now.”-Mvelo. He spoke through gritted teeth. 

She looked muddled and started panicking. When it looked like she was deciding what to do, which was go pack her bags, the idiot held her wrist and she squirmed. 

“I told you, you aren’t going anywhere.”-Sipho. 

Mvelo’s body started tensing up and his hand quickly reached for his gun and he pointed it at him. I stepped back. 

“Let go of her.” I saw panic flash before his eyes. Khauhelo was trying to free herself. 
“Mudedele. Manje!” he cocked the gun and he let go of her wrist. 
“Hamba Khauhelo.” She scattered. 

Turns out this Sipho guy is all bark but no bite. 

“Vula la wena.” He looked at us up and down before he reached for the chain and rattled it. 

Mvelo violently pulled the gate open and Sipho moved out the way. We walked in the direction Helo went to and entered the house. There were dishes in the kitchen sink, windows were closed and it was stuffy. It felt like I was going to suffocate and die right on the spot. Mvelo continued to walk inside the house. I didn’t want to follow behind him. He didn’t stay for long, he came back carrying a few bags with the baby in his arms. He gave me the bags. 

“Go put these in the car.” I took them and I was more than happy to walk out of that house. When I walked out, Sipho was standing just outside the door smoking. 
“Stabane.” I wanted to punch him, but I don’t want any drama. There’s already too much of it and I don’t want to give him the satisfaction. I walked away. 

I went back to the car to load the bags in the boot. I had no desire to go back there so I climbed in the front seat and took my phone. I had a missed call from Mthonga and my heart leapt. I called him back. 

“Mfo ka Manqele.” He laughed.
“Seems like you’ve been up for a while.” I sighed and leaned back in the chair. 
“Yeah, I’m trying to sort out this issue with my sister.”  “She’s going to be okay.” I believe it when he says it. 
“I hope so.” 
“Are you going to come to the office today.” He asked in a much calmer, friendlier tone.
“No, I don’t feel like it. I’m spending the day with my nieces.” 
“Must be nice. What about tonight? Do you have any plans?” “Nope. None.” I replied. 
“How about we have a movie night.” I smiled.
“Sounds like a plan.” I’m starting to like this. 
“Tell me when you come back from your brothers place.” 
“Okay.” The car door opened and Mvelo peaked his head in. 
“Take her to Palm Kloof.” Khauhelo opened the backseat door and climbed in, holding the baby, sulking like the world is ending. I nodded and he closed the door. 
“I’ll call you later.” I said.
“Okay Mfo ka Mfusi.” I laughed. 
“Goodbye Mthonga.” I said before I hung up and started the car. 

We drove in complete silence until we arrived in Shelly Beach and she gave me a look through the rear view mirror.

“Don’t look at me like that.” I reprimanded.
“You promised you wouldn’t tell.” She whined. She wanted to cry, but I kept a hard face. 
“What are you short of Khauhelo? You have both parents, who love you unconditionally, you had a comfortable life with nothing to worry about. Why are you settling for such rubbish? You know what real love is like, you know what it looks like because mom and dad demonstrated that for us. What the hell is your problem?” I felt my anger levels rising.
“It has nothing to do with our parents. I love him, he’s the one for me. He’s not a bad person.” I interjected.
“If he wasn’t, you wouldn’t have run to me crying after he almost beat you.” She bowed her head in embarrassment. 
“If he loved you, he would get up of his ass and look for work, so he wouldn’t feel like less of a man every time you remind him about your status in his life. A man provides for his woman, not the other way around. Especially a woman who bore him a son and he says he wants to marry. Reconsider your decisions sis’, kuyobe kungaqali ngawe ukushada nomuntu ongayena uyise wengane yakho.” She sniffed. “I don’t want to fetch you like I did today in a coffin. If he can try hit you now, and keep you from your family, he won’t hesitate to kill you.” 

I switched off the car and climbed out. I went to open the door for her and she climbed out as well. I went to take the bags from the boot and while I was closing, Paloma and Zita came running out the house. 

“Baba! Aunty!” that was Zita, and her hoarse voice. She came running to hug me. 
“Hi girls.” Khauhelo greeted lowly before she walked into the house. Paloma offered to help me with the things.
“What did you bring us Baba?” they both call me baba, and I feel that is the most heartwarming I’ve ever heard. Everyone knows how much I love my nieces, kids in general. 
“I didn’t forget, I promise.” I crossed my fingers and they both laughed. “I’m not going to go to work today so I’m going to stay with you the whole day, how about that?” 
“Can we go to the beach?”-Paloma.
“Definitely.” They were both excited. When we reached the door, Christine appeared, and she gave me a smile.
“Finally. We’ve been waiting for Baba Ntsakisi to come and relieve us from stories.” I laughed when she said that. She gave me a hug. 
“How are you.” She asked. 
“I’m okay sisi.” 
“Where is Mvelwenhle?” she asked leading me to the guest room downstairs. 
“He stayed behind; I think he wanted to take her car.” She nodded but it seemed like she wanted more information. She sat on the bed and hushed her tone a little before speaking.
“What happened anyway?” I thought Mvelo and Chrissy were best buddies and they told each other everything.
“He almost beat her.” I’m assuming she knows the rest of the story because I also don’t know. 
“But he’s done it before.” She said absent-mindedly. She only realized after and she held her mouth.
“I wasn’t supposed to tell you that.” I saw red.
“He’s done it before?”
“She made me swear not to tell anyone, but the only reason I didn’t was because she promised to leave him, only for her to find out she’s pregnant.” I can’t really blame Christine on this. 
“She loves him so much.” She said. 
“It’s not love Christine, he just has a control over her that no one can describe.” It’s hard to believe that he didn’t actually beat her last night, now that I’ve heard this.
“I know a woman in love when I see one. She loves him, and it’s hard to force someone to stop loving a person. Uyawuthanda umgodoyi wakho unjalo.” I sighed.
“She’s still going to go back to him?” I asked the most obvious question.
“Definitely.” What a heartbreaking situation she is stuck in.