Chapter Six

“Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder”

Days went by, I wouldn’t see him every day. I really did want to see him, but it wouldn’t happen. Only by chance. Today we were having our final meeting to finalize everything, and then we are heading on site to see how far they are with measurements and the works. He walked into my office after knocking and his scent filled the whole office in an instant.

“Mr Mfusi.” He said.
“Mr Manqele. Take a seat.” He did as instructed and placed his things on the table. 

He took me through his plans, and I showed him mine. And once everything was finalized, we were ready to leave for the site. 

“Remember our deal?” he asked as we walked to the parking lot.
“I do. In fact, let’s do an exchange now.” I handed him my keys and he gave me his. 
“Race?” he asked.
“I’ll meet you there.” I opened his door and climbed in. 

We drove out the building like normal people. When we got to the robot, he rolled down the window and looked at me. 

“When the robot turns green, the race begins.” He said.
“Today you will taste what losing feels like.” He laughed in my face like what I had just said was a joke. To top it all off, he revved my car, just to show off. 
“Meet you at the finish line.” The light turned green. 

He sped off and left me behind. He was at an advantage because I was driving a sports car that day. But at some point, I did catch up to him. His adrenaline was very contagious. I’m not an adventurous person, but it seems like he is, and I like that about him. When we were about to reach the site, I slowed down, tuned music and relaxed. I wanted him to win, I wanted to see that excitement on his face when we got there. 

“Ha! I beat you. You owe me a drink.” He said when I handed him his keys.
“You need to teach me how to race, seems like it’s your forte.” He laughed. 
“You still like my car?” he asked.
“Yes, I do. I’m going to get it for myself as a birthday present.” We started walking. 
“When is your birthday?” he’s coming out the shell, I love it.
“28th of April. Yours?”
“9th of January.” He answered.
“Capricorn? Interesting.”
“And you are a?”
“Aries.” He nodded.

We got to the plot and the foundation was already finished. The builders came towards us as soon as we appeared. 

“Mr Mfusi.” They all greeted. 
“This is Mr Manqele, he’s the head of Interior on this project.” They all nodded and greeted him. 

We both briefed them, we also had a word with the contractor and everything else was finalized. We were set to come back only when the house was finished so Mthonga could work on the interior with his team. We spent almost the whole day there and when we left, it was almost time to knock off. 

“All these men are so scared of you.” He said when we strolled back to where our cars were parked. All I need now is a cold shower and my couch. 
“As they should.” He raised his eyebrow and looked at me sideways. 
“How old are you again?” 
“I’m 24.” I said confidently. 
“All these men are old enough to be your father, they shouldn’t be scared of you.” This just go to serious. 
“I want them to respect me, and not see me as a little boy. I am their superior.” 
“I’ll be honest with you. This façade you are putting up, it’s not real. These men do not respect you; they fear you, and when people fear you, they won’t like you because you are unapproachable. In your kind of career, you must be approachable, you have to be a people’s person, not being stuck up. You see all the money you have and the money you grew up in, people are going to think it’s getting to your head, that’s why you act like you have a stick up your ass.” What a lecture.
“But that’s not who I am.” I defended myself.
“I know, but they don’t know that.” He answered.
“I’m fine with people not knowing the real me. Only the ones that matter get to see that side of me.” He glanced at me before mumbling something under his breath.   
“Mthonga.” He looked up. “I don’t want people to know who the real me is.” His eyes softened up. 
“It’s okay.” He tapped my shoulder. I don’t know what that means, but I think I just told him my best kept secret.

My phone was vibrating next to my head, so I sat up and turned on the lights. It was an unknown number. Regardless of the time, I answered. 

“Ntsakisi.” His bold voice registered in my ear and my heart leapt. 
“Mthonga?” I yawned out and got comfortable on the bed.
“Did I wake you?” 
“Partly, yes. What’s wrong?” I asked.
“I can’t sleep. I’m worried about you.” Now what is this about. 
“Khona into ethi angikubheke.” He burped after that. I got a fright. 
“Are you okay?” I asked.
“Yes, I am. But I’m calling to ask you. My ancestors are trying to tell me something. Should I be worried?” My suspicion was right. He is a spiritual person. 
“I’m fine. I promise.” I really was fine. Other than the fact that he might know my biggest secret, I’m perfectly okay. 
“Okay. Good night. I will see you tomorrow.” He said.
“See you tomorrow. Good night.” I hung up and put my phone on the pedestal. 

I had just switched off my lights when my phone rang again. It was a different number this time around. 

“Hello?” 
“Bhuti.” Is it not disgusting that I don’t even have my own sisters number saved on my phone? I feel terrible.
“Helo?” I asked just to be sure.
“Bhuti am I waking you up?” I breathed out.
“No, what’s going on, why are you calling so late?” 
“Can we come to your place.” She asked with a shaky voice.
“Yes, definitely. I’ll open for you.” 
“Thank you.” 

She hung up. I turned on the lights once again and rolled out of bed and headed to the bathroom. I peed, brushed my teeth and went to the kitchen to drink milk. At my big age, I still do it, because it’s such a fond reminder of my childhood. A car pulled up on my driveway and when I peeked out, it was Khauhelo. The car drove up and parked next to my Porsche. Now that looks like a toy, not Mthonga’s Mazda. She climbed out the car in nothing but short pajamas and no shoes. She went to the back, and she came back carrying my nephew, the one I have never met, only heard of. I didn’t ask any questions, I closed the gate, led her inside and showed her to the guest room. She laid him on the bed and walked out. We went back to the lounge, and she sat down, sighing heavily. Before I could put a word in, she buried her face in her hands and she cried. I froze.