Chapter Twenty-Three

Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same

I caught up on my work for the bulk of the morning, but I couldnt shake off what Mvelo had said to me about Noel. I wanted to know exactly what was going on, not the incomplete gossip Mvelo offered me. Calling mom is not an option, she asks too many questions, questions I wont have answers to, so I will launch my own private investigation and try track down Noel. I seriously need to talk to him.

Lets go for lunch. He let himself in. Last I checked, I had a PA that controlled who could and could not walk into my office. Mthonga is no exception.

Mthonga you cant just barge into my office, this is work. Where is Kelly? he frowned.

I dont know where she is. And why are you so moody? Bakwenzeni? he walked deeper into the office, after closing the door behind him, as if I havent just warned him.

No Mthonga, honestly. Here we keep things professional, I am your superior. What will people say when you are constantly barging into my office? he chuckled bitterly.

Maybe if you werent embarrassed about our relationship, and let people know about it, instead of keeping me a secret, we wouldnt have to play hide and seek like little children. Its like his defenses are always up. Hes always ready to pick a fight.

Im not going there with you now. I raised my hand to stop him from continuing, but Mthonga doesnt have a full stop. I walked away.

What makes you think its okay to walk away from me, why are you always running? he raised his voice. Oh he mustnt try me.

You know Mthonga you are more dramatic than a woman going through menopause. You are always trying to pick a fight. You look for it in places where you cant find it. You dont appreciate peace. He stood up.

Watch how you talk to me. He pointed a finger at me.

Or what? Am I going to anger your precious ancestors and youll go running back home again? I told you Mthonga, I wont keep tiptoeing around you and your inconsistent moods. Who do you think you are trying to force me to come out? Im not ready, why cant you understand that! Not everything is about you.

Im sorry if I expected the man that I love to be prouder of having me instead of keeping me a secret. I just expected that when someone claims they love you, they do whatever to keep you around and love you freely.

Listen to me. Yes, you are the biggest part of me Mthonga, but this isnt a game, this is something that could change my life for the worst. I may lose my family over this, its not a light matter. As someone who has been through it, I expect you to be more understanding, I expect you to support me, hold my hand a reassure me that everything will be okay. Expectations: they are one to ruin something beautiful.

I dont want to bicker with you anymore. Moreover about this- he cut me off.

Then introduce me to your family. Tell them about me. If you love me, you will do just that much for me. Okay? he didnt give me a chance to reply, he kissed my forehead and walked out.

Did he even hear half of the things I said or is everything about him once again? Everything is just closing in on me, and the one person I thought had my back has also turned on me. This has not been a great morning at all.

I lost all appetite, and my best bet was to start my investigation. I needed Noel, I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to hear from him. I started on all socials, and he had an Instagram account. It wasnt hard to find it, he seemed like an active user. His last post was two days ago, and it was a picture of him with a man. He looked happy, the glint in his eye could be seen even through the camera angle this picture was taken from. He hasnt changed one bit; he still looks like the mischievous little scrawny brat I used to play with.