Chapter Seven

“Feelings are just visitors, let them come and go”

“Khauhelo?” She sobbed so painfully that it felt like someone was stabbing daggers inside my heart. I moved to sit closer to her and pulled her into my embrace. 
“Talk to me sis.” It took a while for her to gather herself before she could talk. 
“Sipho almost hit me. He wanted to hit me, and I ran away.” I felt my insides turn. 
“He what?” I said through gritted teeth.
“I upset him Ntsakisi, I kept reminding him that I am the breadwinner and that he is nothing. I pushed him to do what he did.” Now this is one thing I will not let happen.
“No don’t you dare Khauhelo. Do not defend him. He has no right to want to lay a hand on you, no matter what you said to him. He has no right to do that. Even our father didn’t hit you, who is he to think he can do that.” She kept quiet and shifted uncomfortably.
“Please don’t tell mom and dad. They already don’t like him.”

It’s none of my business to tell them anyway, and clearly, she still wants to go back to him. I won’t lie and I say I know this Sipho guy. I have never met him. All I know is that he is a few years older than her, and he is a plumber. The whole family hates him, but Helo is head over heels in love with him and now they have an 8-month-old baby. I understand that him and Mvelo have also had an altercation, but I was all the way in Durban, so I heard about it way after it happened. I went to the kitchen to get her a glass of milk.

“Drink this and go to bed. You’ll be better tomorrow.” She nodded and she took the glass with a little smile on her face. 
“Thank you, Bhuti.” I patted her shoulder and walked back to my room. I have a long day ahead of me.

I barely got any sleep, my body is tired, but I had to wake up and go to work. The only thing I was looking forward to was seeing Mthonga, that would definitely brighten up my day. I took a cold shower, went to make my lunchbox, and got dressed. I don’t normally eat in the morning, as a teenager, I struggled with my weight, and sometimes I would lose so much weight, sometimes gain and it took a lot for me to maintain this body I have now, so I started practicing strict diet rules. One of them is not eating before 10:00 in the morning.

I went to the guest room and Khauhelo was still fast asleep. She looked so peaceful; I wish she could stay like that. No one likes seeing their sibling suffer and that sight I witnessed last night was not exciting. I wrote her a little note and stuck it on the dresser and packed my things before I was off to the office. I’m always one of the first people to arrive, I always bump into the cleaners when I come in because they clean over night to avoid disruptions during the day. I used the stairs to avoid people. Today was one of those days where I didn’t feel like interacting with human being, and people will feel the need to greet me if I pass, so I’d rather avoid all of them. 

“Ntsakisi.” His smell gave him away, even before I could see him. I turned and he was jogging towards me. 

His attire was different today. He was wearing a full suit, with a blazer and everything. As always, he didn’t have a tie but he had his traditional ancestral cloth over his shoulder. He looked amazingly sexy, I wanted to kiss him so badly. 

“How are you.” He asked when he finally caught up to me.
“I’m good, how are you?” I replied.
“I’m fine. What happened last night. Your energy is off, but you reassured me that you were fine.” I sighed. 
“It’s my sister. Her baby daddy is abusing her psychologically and now attempted to physically.” I wonder why it’s so easy for me to just open up to him. First it was me indirectly telling him about my sexuality, and I’m pretty sure he caught on, now I’m giving him a folder about my family. What’s next? 
“I’m so sorry about that. Is she okay?” 
“She will be.” Silence passed between us. 

We walked up the stairs in complete silence, but it wasn’t awkward. It was beautiful silence, the golden type. We walked up the first flight of stairs, the second and the third…

“Would you like to join me for lunch?” I may have said I don’t want to be with people, but he’s not people. He’s special. 
“Yeah, where?” he asked as we reached his floor.
“My office.” He gave me squint eyes.
“If it’s about people, I don’t care.” I saw him smile, but he turned away. Was he blushing? Weird. 
“Okay, I’ll be there.” 

Oh what a happy man I am right now. I went to my office and my P.A was already waiting for me. I got in and we got on with important work. She briefed me about my pending meetings, and I had a not so busy day. I had a few board meetings, nothing hectic. I attended all of those and by 11:00am, I was done with all of those. My assistant brought me my coffee and a bagel. I had some free time, so I got on the phone with Mvelwenhle. 

“Bafo.” There was so much noise in the background, and it was the girls. 
“So much noise there.” I laughed.
“It’s your nieces. Wait let me go to the study.” I heard shuffling. Not after a long time, the noise had settled.
“Kunjani mntaka Baba.” He said.
“I wish I could say I’m good bro. How are you?”
“I’m fine. Yini, what’s going on?” he asked concerned. 
“Your brother-in law.” It didn’t take long for him to catch on. Khauhelo is the only one who has a baby out of all of our sisters.
“Wenzeni loyodoti?” his tone changed instantly. 
“Helo called me in the early hours of the morning in panic, crying asking me to come over so she could have a place to stay. When she got there, she told me he tried to hit her.” He kept quiet, but I heard his knuckles popping on the other side. 
“I don’t know what to do Bafo, I’ve never even met this guy before, she doesn’t even want me to tell mom and dad and she clearly doesn’t have plans of leaving him.” I added. 
“I’m going to come there this weekend. Khauhelo doesn’t want to listen to me. She knows she’s wrong, that’s why she won’t let you tell dad. I’m going to teach that fool a lesson.” Oh, it’s like that now! I hope I don’t get in trouble with Helo.
“Thank you for informing me Bafo.” He said then he hung up. I didn’t even get a chance to ask about my nieces. He really isn’t happy about it.