《Chapter 28》

"Thunder strikes at the doom step ,

There lies the numb limbs.

Could it have been better?

Should they have hugged tighter the last time before their fate went bitter?

Would there have been a happy ending?..."

Recites the Princess of Gwacheon.

"Your highness, could it have been?" The maiden asks as she tilts her head.

The Princess stares in oblivion.

"It could have? Maybe... I don't know. " Nari's voice comes out weak and low. She looks down towards her feet.

"It's so heartwarming that you have his highness, the crown Prince as your husband, your highness. " The other maiden smiles endearingly, swaying side to side. "He's the most genuine sacred bone in the entire Daegu. I'm sure he'll take good care of your highness. "

"But wouldn't it be hard to like- to share such a husband?" Another maiden muffled giggles and elbows to the first one.

Nari hears them but remains nonchalant.

"Let her highness rest. Get up, you girls !" The court lady glares at the maidens.

"Your highness, please call us whenever you need us. And rest well. "

The ladies bow to the Princess and leave her chambers hurriedly afraid of the fuming court lady.

They were talking about Yuna earlier. Nari knows. And it isn't a good thing that her husband spends more time with his mistress than his newly wed wife. She knew the question would arise about her not being able to interest him even for a few days into their marriage. He ran away like a cockroach to her the moment he heard she took ill.

"Isn't she a physician herself? Why can't she take her own medicines and herbs to get well?" Raya, the Princess's maiden scrawl. The Princess seems frustrated with anger. But she at the same time liked the idea of them, her and the Prince not having sex yet.

Although, she takes offense to her pride when people mock her about the uncertainty of her place in Daegu behind her back. " Your highness pardon me but you need to do something about this bitch. Today two of them taunted you on your face. The next one will be even worse, I'm afraid."

Nari gets up from her bed and grabs her robes, pulling them over her bare shoulders as she walks out of her chambers. "Stay here and look out for me." She commands her maiden. It surprisingly is empty in the hallway.

"Is someone from high status dead? " she chuckles to herself excitedly.

She takes the knife from her inner garments and tugs it under her waist belt. She pulls the robes over her head to hide herself. There she observes her soundings and finds no one around. No guard, no maiden.

It seemed suspicious to her but she walked towards Yuna's chambers anyway. She takes the poorly concreted side of the path which seemed more secure for a sneaky way to pursue.

A dim lantern is hanging on the ceiling near the entrance gate which according to Soora is a chamber allotted to the physicians. She walks closer and hears the voice that has been haunting her reality. The Crown Prince is in conflict with Yuna. Nari can't hide her displeaseness as she hears her wedded husband talk so caringly to her. She now knows how to deal with these two idiots. She won't be a subject to their one act play of romance. She'll secure her place no matter whatever way she has to take.