Chapter 38 ⚜ The Benefactor

In high school, I meet Elena while heading to our classes after the bell rings, Elena says "Hello"

I smile "Hey, Bonnie alright now" 

"Yeah, but she is in shock"  Elena and I head to the class as I smile sadly.

Malia heads into class and stops dead when she realizes that it's math. She tries to walk out, but Stiles stops her and ushers her in. She complains that math is pointless.

Stiles tells her that school is important and math is essential.

"To what?"

"Knowing how much to tip at restaurants," Stiles tells her with a wink. I'm sitting right next to them and give Stiles a look. "And less important things like medicine, economics, engineering..." Stiles still thinks tipping is the most important.

Ms. Fleming, the math teacher  "All right, volunteers to the board! Lydia, Diego, Malia..."

Stiles gives her two thumbs up in encouragement, but Malia growls at him

Stiles gives her two thumbs up in encouragement, but Malia growls at him. Stiles hunches down in response and looks cowed.

Up at the board, Malia freezes and doesn't know what to do. I ask Malia "Did you go over the notes I gave you?"

Malia admits "I didn't understand them"

I glance around to see Ms. Fleming occupied and then tell Malia "X equals twenty-five" I sigh "And sweetheart? Put away the claws." 

Malia glances at her hand in shock.

⚜ The Lost Hunter ⚜

Outside Walcott's home, Parrish is sitting outside looking through the crime scene photos. He sees someone move inside the house and goes to investigate. He finds me wandering around.

I lead Parrish through the house "I would try to explain it, but... I've never gotten a satisfactory explanation myself"

"Just an unusual habit of showing up at places where people have been brutally murdered?" 

"Are you saying I have a reputation?" 

"An unusual one... Maybe you're psychic?"

"Don't tell me you believe all that?"

"I'd like to say I don't believe in anything, but I keep an open mind but, if you're looking for dead bodies, I think you're a little late"

I focus on a wood panel and see screaming faces in the wood grain. I press on the panel, and it opens with a gust of cloudy air.

We open the door the rest of the way, and Parrish goes in first. we end up in a meat locker. Parrish thinks "I think it's a game locker. Like venison. Hunting's legal in some parts of the state, but..." He goes up to one of the covered bodies and opens the zipper.

I ask "What is it?" 

"It's not venison"

⚜ The Lost Hunter ⚜