Chapter twelve: beating heart

"Come on, work!"

"Freaking work!" I screamed in frustration. Warily, I slumped down on the floor, feeling exhaustion surge over me. I stared at Silas' body, still cold and lifeless on the bed. I had tried all types of spells I had learned, and nothing seemed to be working on him.

I had tried to remove the energy of the vortex that had consumed him. To my dismay, it didn't even seem to exist anymore. It's like it had faded on its own. Otherwise, his body was completely untouched. No single organ damaged. There was nothing to reassemble. It was all intact.

I placed my hand on my forehead, feeling my head throbbing. It was just two hours after midnight, and me overusing my powers was terribly weakening me. I wanted to close my eyes and fall into a deep slumber. With shaking arms, I shook my head and attempted to stand up, falling back down when even my legs gave in on me.

Taking a deep breath, I got on my knees, trying my ease my way up. It was difficult, but if I did it slowly, I would get up successfully.

I heard the door open before a pair of feet ran in, "Akielia." Sei called me, falling on his knees next to me. "It is enough," He only said, helping me up.

I shook my head, "No. I need to keep trying. I know that I can..."

"No more," he stopped me, "Please."

When he saw that I couldn't stand, he sat down on the floor with me and pulled me onto his lap. "Rest, just for a while." He whispered, brushing my hair back. I closed my eyes but shook my head. I needed to keep trying. Silas would never give up on me. He would never rest until I was alive and well.

"I'm close, I can feel it." I said tiredly. "Just need one more shot..."

Sei rocked me back and forth gently, making me feel sleepier. I lifted my hand, attempting to reach for Silas. "Please..." I whispered, tears rolling down my cheeks. "He's all I have left of the both of you."

Sei held my hand and placed it over his slow beating heart, "I am here too. I have always been."

I closed my eyes, hearing a soft female voice calling Sei's name. It sounded like Daffodil, but I couldn't keep my eyes open.

It all went black afterward, the voices fading away.

__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__

"So you weren't just cuddling your ex-girlfriend? Seriously! What the hell?"

"Did you not see her state? She was too tired to even breathe properly!"

"That doesn't mean you needed to hold her like she's your very last thread of life!"

"What the hell are you even angry about?"

"You left bed, and I was worried! Just for me to find you holding another woman!"

My face scrunched up at the argument that was happening a few feet away from me. I slowly opened my eyes, looking around sleepily. I was still lying on the floor, but on a thin but warm material. I pushed myself up with my elbows and realized that it was Sei's coat. I could faintly smell his woody cologne bouncing off it. Looking towards the sound source, I saw Daffodil facing Sei with crossed arms as they argued about me like I wasn't in the room.

I looked outside, sighing in relief when I saw stars. I was probably out for twenty or thirty minutes, so I had time to figure this out again. The tiredness was completely gone from me, and I could even think clearly. So much so that I even had an idea of how to wake him up.

"That's it..." I whispered, my eyes widening in realization. I scrambled to get up and rushed over to him, "That's it!" I shouted, getting the attention of the arguing couple.

"How could you!" Daffodil turned to me. She started storming to me, but Sei grabbed her arm and yanked her away from me. "Absolutely not! You will not interrupt her." He hissed at her. I ignored them as I rushed to Silas' side. "You don't need any fixing. You need to wake up from the coma you've somehow gotten into." I said, biting my lower lip. I placed my hand on his forehead, taking a deep breath.

"Get out!" Sei yelled, the door slamming right after. I closed my eyes and focused on not absorbing energy but channeling my own. "If that violent spark killed you, then energy identical to it could wake you up too." I felt my hand heat up as I channeled as much energy to his body I could muster, all the way from his head to his feet.

I could feel Sei's eyes on me as I did this, making me even more determined to do this. I felt my own eyes glowing as the energy shot to him, knocking me back. I felt Sei's arms around my waist as he stopped my fall. "Did it work?" He only asked, focused on his brother. I held my breath and watched as his body slightly glowed from the current of my powers. I wasn't sure if it would work, but I was praying on it. This was the only solution I had left. If this didn't work, I would have failed.

I would never see him again.

"I don't know." I whispered, too scared to go and check. The magic still seemed to be doing its thing inside him, but it was taking longer than I would like. Sei released me and slowly approached the body. "Silas?" He called him, hesitantly reaching to touch him.

He suddenly stopped glowing, making Sei quickly retract his hand. "Did I do something?" He asked, turning to me. I shook my head and approached the body, feeling it for any heartbeat. My stomach dropped when I saw that it was still the same as before. Absolutely nothing changed.

"I failed." I breathed out, choking back a sob. Sei looked shocked to hear this, and he turned back to Silas, looking at him as if his body had the solution to our problems. "No, it can't be. You couldn't have failed." He said, shaking his head.

I wiped my tears and stepped back, the guilt crashing back at me. I couldn't believe it. All of that effort just for me to fail. I had them dig him up, for goodness sake! Just for me to do nothing but bring grief to everyone. I played with everyone's emotions.

Kaiser... Sei... Everyone who believed in me. I failed them. I failed as a sorceress and healer.

"Akielia." Sei called me. I turned away, already expecting hateful words to come at me. I waited and listened, waiting for Sei to let his frustration out on me.

"Do you hear it?" He asked me softly.

Can I hear my failure? I definitely do.

I looked at him with tear stained eyes and waited for him to continue.

"It's beautiful." He whispered, tears rolling down his eyes, "Thank you."

I was getting confused, "What are you..."

"He's heart, Akielia. It is beating so beautifully." He said. I looked down at his hand, seeing it placed over Silas' chest. I looked closely, finally seeing it.

His chest, it was moving ever so slightly.

He was breathing.

He was alive.

Silas was alive.

HE'S BAAAACK!

Hope you enjoyed
Vote| Comment |Share

HOW DO YOU THINK SILAS WILL ACT WHEN HE WAKES UP?

So sorry for the late updates. I'm writing exams and it's hectic.