Chapter seventeen: bloody murder

I rushed out of my office and charged for the stairs, my heart beating rapidly the closer I got to the blood source. Bile rose up my throat when I shoved the double doors open, nearly ripping them from their hinges.

Coming to standstill, I looked around the living room. I circled around the black leather sofas, and there it was.

A creature, laying on the floor, lifeless.

Dead.

I clenched my jaw and looked around the room, finding no signs of anyone having been there. I walked towards the dead body. It was a werewolf this time. She had been one of the few creatures that helped with medical related situations. She was the one who made sure to update me on how the pixie I woke up had been.

I fell on my knees and observed her carefully. My hand landed on her forehead, feeling that it was still warm. This was a recent murder. I had known for a while that this was a serious situation, but I never imagined that it was this dire. The killer was now in my own home, and they had managed to kill a very powerful creature.

Whoever this was, they were stronger than a werewolf.

That could only mean that it was a vampire or perhaps a hybrid, which there weren't many.

"Up here!" I heard someone shout from outside. The sound of footsteps followed and in charged Sei with a few other guards following behind him. He stopped when his eyes landed on me, and then they shifted to the body I was kneeling on front of.

"You're a little late." I said to him, "The killer is long gone. Please take the body to be checked. I haven't found the cause of the murder."

Sei stared at me and motioned at his guards to leave. They rushed out, probably going to search around the palace. "My queen," he started. I held my hand up to stop him.

"Please don't call me that. My name is fine." I said to him, standing up. "Do you have any clue on who could have done this?"

Sei shook his head, furrowing his eyebrows cutely.

"Akielia, you aren't safe here anymore." He said to me. I stepped over the puddle of blood that had soaked the carpet and walked to the hybrid. "I've never been safe anywhere. What's new?" I asked him with a grin. Clearly, seeing me smile didn't please him.

"This is serious. A murder happened right above you. What if..." He trailed off, the mere thought of finishing his sentence causing great conflict within him.

"What if?" I asked him softly.

He glared at me, "What if it was you?" He asked me sharply.

"I'm fine." I dismissed the idea, walking towards the door. "We need to find whoever killed her and give them a punishment they won't forget."

I stopped when Sei's firm grip landed on my arm, keeping me in place. "You aren't listening to me." He hissed. I turned back and looked at him in confusion.

"Sei, I can protect myself. If anything, it's Daffodil you should be worried about."

His frustrated expression changed to one of irritation, "What does she have to do with this?"

"I'm just saying that she can't really protect herself, so she needs her hybrid mate to look after her." I said with a shrug. "Also, can you let me go?"

He ignored my request. If anything, his grip tightened but not enough to harm me, "You don't understand. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to you..." He started, looking distressed. "Not because I'm your guard, but I care about you so much."

Thanks...?

I looked at his hand on my arm, and he pulled it away, shaking his head when he realized I wasn't going to respond. I watched him walk off to check out the body without another word. I didn't want to push him away, but I was never going to move on if I didn't.

I was getting between him and his girlfriend, and it was wrong of me.

In just a couple of minutes, the room was filled with multiple creatures that came to look at the scene. Alexander walked in last, others making way for him as he headed to the scene of the crime. There were still no traces of the killer, and it was unclear as to what creature had been able to do this.

Alexander glanced at the body and stood up to whisper something to Sei. He looked confused as he listened but nodded and turned to me. "The king would like to handle this case. He has a clue on who it might be." Sei said to me. I was surprised to hear this.

"Really? Who?" I asked. Sei looked back at Alexander, his eyebrows furrowing.

"I am not sure. He didn't say anything to me. Perhaps if you ask him, he will..."

"I'm going to stop you right there. That won't be happening." I said to Sei. "I entrust this case to you, so please update me if there's any discoveries."

Sei raised his eyebrows in confusion but nodded anyway. I turned to look at the door, my eyes widening when Silas walked in. My eyes quickly shifted to Alexander, who lifted his head and sniffed the air. When he caught the scent he was looking for, his eyes turned red.

Silas looked at Alexander but made his way to me instead, not seeming to care about his presence. "Hey, beautiful. Did you miss me?" He asked with a wink. A vampire looked at us in surprise and quickly moved away from us. I bit my tongue. This was not a good place to do this.

"What are you doing here?" I only asked, keeping my eyes on Alexander. From across the room, he was looking right at me, his eyes the brightest red I've ever seen them become.

"I could smell the blood from downstairs, I had to check what the commotion was about." Silas responded, "Why aren't you looking at me?"

I broke the intense eye contact with Alexander and looked at Silas, making him smile. "You aren't supposed to be here."

"I'm supposed to be everywhere you are, my love. What do you mean?" Silas asked, looking around. His eyes landed on Alexander, and he sent him a wink, a smirk forming on his face.

"Look, Alexander knows about what happened... earlier." I said softly, making sure that no one was listening. I'm sure all the creatures were anyway. They all had intensified hearing.

"So?" Silas asked, "it's good that he knows that you belong to me. That won't ever change, married or not."

A few creatures turned to face us at his words, shock written on their features at Silas' words.

Sei looked towards us, his face falling when Silas sent him a nasty glare. I nudged him with my elbow, "Don't do that. He's still a sensitive person."

Silas' glare only deepened, "and still naíve by the looks of it."

My eyes widened slightly when Alexander started walking to us, full of determination. Silas joined his hands together, cracking his knuckles as if he were preparing to fight. I looked between them, knowing that this encounter was not about to end well.

Surprise! Another double update.
Hope you enjoyed
Vote| Comment |Share