Chapter thirty three: the egg

"Where is she?" Alexander asked me, hurrying over to me.

I took a deep breath as he crouched next to me, his eyes softening when they landed on Sapphires unmoving body. Valedria and Goliath stood behind him wordlessly. They showed no emotions, making it difficult to tell what they were thinking.

Alexander gently pushed the rest of the plastic body bag off from her face and placed his hand on her cheek. I briefly looked at him, expecting to see tears. He leaned down and pressed a soft kiss on her forehead, lingering there for a few seconds.

Goliath sighed heavily and walked away.

"I'm sorry for your loss." I broke the deafening silence. "It's okay to mourn–"

"There is no time to mourn." Alexander interrupted me, pulling away from his mother. He pushed her hair back for the last time before standing up and walking towards the next exit of the cave, "Let's go. The killer got a headstart, but we can still catch up to them."

Sei and Silas nodded simultaneously.

Valedria looked down at Sapphire and quickly looked away. He clenched his eyes shut, trying to stop his tears from flowing. When he gathered himself, he opened his eyes, and they were nearly black. "Right," he said, slightly trembling.

"We kill first, mourn later. That is how our kind does it."

I guess I still have a lot to learn.

I cleared my throat and stood up. "I see. I'm sorry for distracting assuming. Let's get a move on."

Wordlessly, I walked down the rest of the cave, the twins once again walking on either side of me. Alexander and his fathers remained at the back this time, but I didn't question any of them.

The tunnel stretched open, revealing another large cave that bought a bit of light in this dark place. This one was not a science lab like the previous one. I looked around, seeing another one of those lamps that lit up the area. My eyes also landed on one particular thing that stood out the most.

"What the hell?" Silas asked as he looked at it in disgust.

A smell I could only describe as vile suddenly filled my nose, making me quickly cover my nose with the sleeves of my shirt. Alexander coughed and moved forward, his eyes stuck on something we all were staring at in shock.

"What is this?" He asked. "Is that an egg?"

"Absolutely disgusting."

A massive egg was stuck on the wall, covered in a strange neon green liquid that I could easily assume was the cause of such a rotten and putrid smell. It was easily the size of a small car and almost perfectly spherical.

"What supernatural could have made this?" I asked the long awaited question.

Sei frowned, "None."

Valedria blew out a deep breath, and I looked around at everyone. We were deep in a hole, and it lacked enough air for all of us to survive for too long. "I think we've learned more than we thought. We should crack this egg open and capture whatever is inside. That should give us a lead on what type of creature we are dealing with."

I looked around the rest of the cave. It was empty, and it didn't seem to continue any further. We had reached a dead end.

The killer managed to escape our grasp again. Sapphire was a good distraction for them.

"Take whatever is inside?" Valedria stared at me in disbelief. "We need to destroy this specimen before it is born into another of whatever we are dealing with."

"Valedria. Killing isn't always the solution. Learning is also very important." I said to him calmly.

"Really? Then why the hell is the mother of my only son dead? Why didn't the killer want to learn about her?" He asked me harshly.

Silas frowned, and Sei let out a low growl in warning. "Don't speak to her like that." Silas warned him.

Valedria disregarded him and kept his red eyes on me, waiting for a response.

"Valedria, we are not killers. You can't compare our actions to theirs." I said softly. "This is our chance to figure out what kind of creature this is."

"We will be one step closer, and we desperately need that. Creatures are talking, wondering what the royal family is doing about this." Goliath added, crossing his arms. "I say we crack the egg and keep whatever filthy creature is growing in there imprisoned."

Everyone besides Valedria agreed with my idea, so it was ultimately decided. I turned back to the slimy egg, trying not to gag as I lifted my hand up. Magic swirled around my fingers, and I closed my eyes to focus.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, watching as the egg started melting. Puddles of the green pus splashed around, making all of us back away.

Alexander cursed when a drop of the green stuff touched his shoe, and he glared at me, "You couldn't freeze the damn thing and then crack it? Look at this filthy mess."

I gave him a harsh look back, "Sure, and I should've frozen whatever is inside to death, too." I answered sarcastically.

The egg finally split open, revealing a rather large figure inside. I looked at it in confusion, opening my mouth to speak when it suddenly stood up.

Valedria gasped and jumped back, but I quickly held my hand up to stop any movement. The figure was covered in the disgusting slime, but I could see a small patch of pink hair peeking out from there.

I knew someone with pink hair.

"Kaiser?" I asked softly. He stood there, unmoving, and that confused the hell out of me.

I stepped closer to him, feeling Silas grab my wrist to stop me. "Hold on, love. We don't know if he's safe to be near right now."

"It's Kaiser. Why wouldn't he be safe?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the pink haired male. His eyes were closed as he was standing, and his shaking hands lifted to wipe that slime off his face. "Kaiser, can you please say something."

He listened to me, his lips parting. They wobbled as he tried to form words, but nothing seemed to be coming out from him.

"I- it's- I..." He breathed out, starting to panic. Silas let me go, and Sei walked to Kaiser, helping him out of the sticky substance. "It's okay, Kaiser. Just breath." Sei said softly.

"I-I'm tired." Kaiser whispered, slumping against Sei's shoulder.

"It's okay. Rest." Sei said to him. Kaiser listened, his eyes closing. We made our way back where we came from, silently deciding to put Kaiser's health first. We had no idea how long he's been in that egg or what it's been doing to him in there. I needed to take a good look at him when we got home.

When we passed where Sapphire was, Valedria lifted her body without any word.

We left the hole we had come from and covered it with the door that had been hiding it. We didn't need any creatures getting in there.

Multiple fairies were waiting for us when we emerged. They helped Kaiser off Sei and carried him to safety. Some helped Valedria with Sapphire, and the rest were just there to assist if we needed anything.

I took a deep breath, appreciating the fresh air I didn't have down at the cave. A fairy walked to me, bowing in respect. "My queen, a private estate has been prepared for you and your family and is ready for you."

I nodded and thanked her, allowing myself to follow her. Everyone was silent because we all knew one thing.

When Kaiser woke up, we would finally know who was behind this whole thing.

Don't forget to...
Vote| Comment |Share

Happy New Year!
Let's make 2024 a good one.

The truth is close to coming out. Have you figured out who the killer is? I left like a million clues.