Chapter twenty two: realizing

"Where have you been?"

I stared at the crackling fire in front of me, my hands held out towards it as I warmed up my body. Alexander crossed his arms at me in expectance, but I didn't look at him. I didn't want him to detect my dishonesty.

"What do you mean?" I asked him after clearing my throat. "I've been here."

He looked around my office before stepping closer to me. He fell on one knee to reach meet my level since I was sitting on the floor, wrapped in a thick blanket. I was finally starting to warm up, and I could feel my powers slowly strengthening.

I guess extreme cold is my weakness.

"I checked this place a million times." Alexander pointed out, his eyes turning black. It usually happened whenever he was hungry, but I knew that he was still full after he had fed from that human he was so obsessed with.

I wonder if she's transferred to the wolfpack yet.

I wanted to speak to her.

"Are you deaf? She said she was right here." Silas said from the corner of the room. Alexander and I turned to look at him. He was seated on my office chair with crossed legs and had a novel in his hand. Alexander glared at him, clearly not pleased that Silas had opened his mouth.

Silas looked back down at the book, not giving him any attention.

Alexander turned back to me, and he opened his mouth to speak. His word died when his eyes shifted to my neck. I looked at him in confusion as he reached for it and stroked it gently. Actions like those would give me tingles before, but now it felt like he wasn't supposed to touch me.

This mate bond stuff will forever confuse me.

"What are these marks?" He asked. I was confused for a moment until I realized that he was referring to the attack back at the lake. That creature must have left a pretty nasty mark on my neck. I shook my head and acted nonchalant.

"I probably wore my bead necklace too tightly." I mumbled. Alexander grabbed my chin and painfully pulled me to face him, making me clench my jaw. "Enough with this nonsense. Tell me who did this to you right now, and I'll have them executed. With my own bare hands if I must."

So now he cares?

His grip on my chin tightened when he didn't receive a response, and I heard Silas growl behind me.

"Stay out of it, demon." Alexander hissed.

Before I could even blink, Silas was grabbing Alexander by his neck. I felt his grip on my chin loosen, and I brushed my fingers against it gently, feeling for any pain. It didn't hurt, but it left an uncomfortable feeling lingering behind.

"Get your hands off me!" Alexander demanded, clawing Silas off his neck. Silas didn't budge, only tightening his grip.

"Touch her like that again, I'll squeeze your neck till your eyes pop out of their sockets. They're Shiloh's favorite snack." Silas warned, shoving Alexander away from him. Alexander stumbled back and fell on the ground, making my eyes widen. He glared at Silas from the floor.

"Akielia, tell him to leave." Alexander said angrily. I looked at him in shock.

"Tell him, baby, so we can fix things."

"She's not going to fall for that." Silas said, staring at me. I looked back at him and nodded.

"Maybe you should go ask the human you adore so much. I'm sure she'd love to hear you call her that." I told Alexander. He got up from the floor and dusted himself off.