Chapter thirty eight: stories

Damien broke my mind into pieces.

He took the very last shred of sanity I had been holding onto for the past few weeks. I'd been dangling from it this whole time, grasping it for dear life, and he had the nerve to appear in the form of wind and take it all from me.

As if the deaths we had counted weren't enough already. I was going to lose someone else.

He had mentioned that I would have the assistance of my men when stopping him, so it thankfully couldn't be Sei or Silas. Kaiser was probably out of the picture, too, considering he was still too weak to do anything.

He was still a possibility.

Then there was Alexander, Valedria, Goliath...

These were all men that I was close to, but he had never said that it would specifically be a man. I just had automatically scratched out the women because I didn't know many to begin with. The ones that I did know were long dead. Sapphire and Daffodil.

The only other women I knew were Elder Norabi from the wolfpack, Alexanders girlfriend, and the twins' mother, who had been in prison for months.

It was clear to me that it was not a woman.

When we got back to the house, I told Sei and Silas everything that I had been told by Damien. I couldn't tell the others because they could potentially be possessed already. I had to be as careful as I could be.

Silas stared at me with widened eyes, clearly having not expected me to drop such a bomb on him.

Sei frowned and slumped on the couch. "Can't even enjoy a gust of wind around here without there being some evil spirit controlling it." I heard him mumbling in annoyance.

"I'm more surprised that he's dead and we haven't seen his body yet." Silas said, "What type of supernaturals does that even make us?"

I sat down next to Sei, and his hand landed on my knee. "I think we should find his body last. Right now, someone is getting possessed, and we need to kill whoever it is before it's too late."

Silas leaned against a desk, "So what happens if we can't figure it out?"

Well...

I looked around the room, avoiding their eyes.

"Akielia." Silas said with a warning tone.

"Uh, well, how do I make this seem less tragic?" I asked, joining my hands together.

"No need for euphemisms. Say it as it is."

Well then, it's quite simple, really.

"He'll kill me before I do." I quickly said, closing my eyes.

A low rumble filled the room, and I could tell that it was Silas growling. I could never get used to how threatening that sound was. Like a dragon whose sleep had been disturbed or a lion locked into its target.

Sei sighed next to me, his hand rubbing soothing circles on my knee. "I was hoping there would be another way... But if your life is at stake, killing whoever that person is will have to be our main priority."

"Or I'll die..." I mumbled.

"I won't allow that." Silas snapped, making me look up. "I will torture anyone that dares try to harm you, dead or alive."

Sei frowned.

"We can't really kill someone we aren't sure of. Let's start with a list of possible males and observe their behavior towards our mate. If they start acting strange, it has to be them."

Silas clenched his jaw but listened to what his brother was saying. He nodded firmly, "Fine, but we can't sit and do nothing in the meantime. Akielia is still queen, so the people still expect her to be doing something about what has been happening."

"And Alexander is still king. So she should be discussing these things with him, not us." Sei added. Silas rolled his eyes and pushed himself off the table. I watched him as he walked to the door.

"Let's go then. Duty calls."

__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__

"I want you to write an article for those around the land to read. Tell them that the murderer has been caught and killed. They do not need to worry anymore."

The fairy blinked at me, the blank pages of his notepad staring back at me. I stared at Alexander, who was seated next to me, and he gave me a nervous glance. We weren't sure if the fairy believed us, but that was the only story we could give him.

It's been a long time since the creatures have started asking questions. Who was the killer? Why were they killing? What was the royal family doing to counter this?

The topic has been neglected for far too long. I couldn't keep avoiding it.

The fairy, the one who usually hand wrote all the papers with the latest news around the land, cleared his throat and looked down at the notepad in his hand.

He still didn't write anything.

"My queen," he started, fixing his round glasses. His deep green curls bounced ever so slightly whenever he moved his face. "It is good news that the killer has been caught. I must ask, who was it? What was the aim of this creature? Where are they now? How do we guarantee the safety of our people? The island is getting extremely restless."

My neck itched from all the questions.

Alexander frowned, "Unfortunately we can not state the exact name of the killer. His family asked that we kept it a secret for their reputation."

The fairy finally started writing, which made my shoulders slump in relief. I had forgotten just how good of a liar Alexander was, and I was truly grateful for his skill.

"Yes," I continued, finding my voice again. "The aim of the criminal is unknown. We never gave him the chance to explain. He had to be executed at once."

The fairy looked up from his notes, "Usually, there is a public execution for such serious cases. Or is Queen Akielia no longer continuing our traditions?"

I frowned at his words.

"What are you implying?" Alexander asked. "I hope you aren't going to twist this and claim that the queen is changing our traditions because she's a foreigner in our land."

"True, we would hate for something bad to happen to you after such a risky accusation." Silas said behind me, his eyes darkening as he stared at the fairy. His large green eyes widened, and he quickly shook his head.

"Never. I wouldn't dare discredit our queen."

I forced a smile. "Good," Alexander said. "Back to the rest of your questions, the killer has been killed as previously stated, and we have assigned more security around the area to keep everyone feeling safer."

The fairy was scribbling as all of this was being said. When he was done, he looked right at me, and I felt my heart pick up speed. I used my magic to slow it down so the fairy wouldn't hear it and grow suspicious.

"Queen Akielia, what is your plan to calm and reunite the people? Their restlessness has led to a separation amongst creatures. A resistance may form if the people are not reassured."

My fake smile grew wider. This bastard.

I had two seconds to come up with a solution to bring the island together. I thought back to the last time everyone had been completely united. It was when the new king was still being chosen, and many creatures from different areas had gathered to witness it.

I needed a big event... One that would get everyone cheering and screaming in excitement.

My eyes lit up as a solution came into my genius mind.

"King Alexander will be defending his throne from Silas, the hybrid who rose from the dead. Their fight will be tomorrow."

Don't forget to...
Vote| Comment |Share