Chapter 12

It was getting closer to the end of your time at Hogwarts now. You were sad for this but also excited for the new possibilities that it would bring and that you would no longer have to keep your relationship with Snape a secret.

You and Snape had been planning your secret date at Hogsmead for weeks now. It was to be a romantic rendezvous, away from the prying eyes of Hogwarts. As you were discussing the final details, a not-so-stealthy figure ambushed your hiding spot beneath the Whomping Willow.

"Aha! I've caught you in the act!" Ron exclaimed, his eyes gleaming with mischief. "You thought you could keep this secret from me, huh? Well, sorry to disappoint, but I already know what you're planning and I want to go too."

You grunted, in annoyance. Snape, ever the master of maintaining his composure, raised an eyebrow at Ron. "Why on earth would you want to join us on our date?"

Ron shrugged, a mischievous grin spreading across his face. "Well, I thought it might be fun. Besides, I've got some shopping to do and I can't go into town without a professor since the last time I did I caused a scene."

Snape's patience was wearing thin. He glared at Ron and hissed, "Ronald, I swear, if you don't leave us be, I'll be forced to unleash some rather unpleasant hexes upon you. And trust me, I have quite an extensive repertoire."

Ron chuckled nervously and took a few steps back. "Alright, alright, I'll back off. Just be sure to bring me some sweets from Honeydukes, yeah?"
Snape sneered as Ron scurried away. "Honestly, that boy. Why you're friends with him I will never know."

You nudged him playfully, smiling up at him. "Sure he's annoying but he's also funny and kind. He's like a brother to me."

Snape smiled at you, a sight you had began to get used to but one you knew no one else ever saw. You loved that he only permitted you to see his feelings. Severus was known for his cold and unyielding facade. But he would always light up whenever you was around. His stern expression would soften, his eyes would become warmer. You saw the vulnerable side that he kept hidden from the world, the side that craved love and acceptance. And you were determined to give him just that.

Just then, Snape admitted something to you. "The last time I found comfort under the branches of this tree I was just a bit younger than you."

"Did you come here often?" You asked.

Severus hesitated, choosing his words carefully. "I was...bullied, y/n. Quite severely, in fact." He confessed, his gaze focused on a distant memory. Your heart sank at his revelation, your empathy for him growing stronger. You placed a comforting hand on his arm, silently urging him to continue."My years at Hogwarts were harsh, and this tree was my sanctuary. Whenever the world outside became too overwhelming, I sought solace beneath its branches and found refuge from the darkness that surrounded me."

Your grip tightened on Severus' arm, your concern for him turning into a deep-rooted compassion. "I'm so sorry, Severus. No one should have to endure such cruelty. But you're not alone anymore. You have me."

Severus looked at your compassionate eyes filled with understanding. A flicker of gratitude crossed his face.

"I wish I could have been in your year at Hogwarts, then you wouldn't have been so alone." You continued.

A small smile tugged at the corners of Severus' mouth, his eyes shining with a mix of gratitude and affection. "Thank you, y/n. Your presence in my life has brought light to the shadows that once haunted me. With you, I feel understood. It matters not that you weren't with me then, all that matters is that you're here now."

You both shared a moment to gaze into each others eyes. You wandered how badly he was bullied at school, you knew it must have been terrible to make him open up to you like this.

"Come on." Severus stood up and extended his hand out to you. "Let's go."