Instinct

Writer's note: I am just getting into the flow of making the story. Blue October is my biggest playlist while I write. Yes, I am a huge fan. Hope you enjoy them too!!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Jace

After I finally fell back asleep, I remained dreamless. I was praying I would see my mate again, even if only in my dreams. She was so beautiful, and her scent still lingered in my nose. I have to try to find her. I have to search for her. I jumped out of bed and dressed quickly, ambling into the hall. I stopped in front of Reign's door for a second, inhaled deeply, but nothing. Her smell is not strong, so she must have already left for school. I start my way down the stairs only to run into my mother.

"Good morning, son. You seem to be in a hurry." she said sweetly.

"Morning Ma! Sorry, I got things to do today." I rambled while heading for the back door.

"Okay, son, but I need to speak to you, and it's important." Ma states.

"Now important?" I asked.

"I'm afraid so." She quipped.

I stopped in my tracks. Ma usually doesn't get this serious. "Go ahead." I say.

"Your birthday is next week on the fifteenth. But before then , Reign's birthday is on the twelfth. I want you to be there when she shifts. You are the next Alpha, and she has no one. We will be her family for her first shift. To help her through it and go on her first full run. It will be a good experience for you both, " Ma stated as a matter of fact. I didn't have a choice. I wasn't full Alpha yet. If Ma says so, I still have to obey, even though I would be out of respect for her anyway.

I bow my head and whisper, "Yes, Ma."

"There's my sweet son." she smiled.

I quickly turn around and head for the door. There are too many things running through my mind. Who was she? Why did she run away from me? I know it was just a dream, but it just felt so real. Her beautiful silver fur, and captivating violet eyes. I knew this had to be more. I knew she had to be mine.

I head to my baby, my car, that is. My beautiful electric blue Bugatti Chiron Sport. She is fast and sleek. I needed a good, fast drive to clear my head. Blasting my favorite band, Blue October, I fly down the road. The song "Driver" was blasting from my speakers as I rounded a curve. I slam on breaks as I see a small figure limping in the grass. The squeal of my breaks made the figure turn around quickly. Reign. Why was she out here? Why is she limping? I pull up to her slowly, and she bows her head. I can see blood seeping from her leg.

"What happened? Why are you bleeding?" I spout almost angrily.

"I, I just fell Alpha Jace. I am fine. Thank you for checking on me, and I am sorry I disturbed your day." she said just barely loud enough for me to hear.

"Reign, is that what really happened?" I asked with a little base in my voice, implying my Alpha tone.

She dropped her head and whispered, "Yes, Alpha."

I know she is not being honest. It's not really the smell of fear on her, but the smell of disappointment. She refuses to look at me, and being her Alpha, she will not look me in the eyes out of respect and deferment.

"Get in the car." I order.

"Alpha, I am ok. You don't have to waste your time on me." she says quietly.

"Get in the fucking car!" I order.

She shivers a bit, but then starts walking towards the car. I go to the trunk and get a towel and spread it across my passenger seat. I stand there waiting as she timidly slides in. I quickly close the door and stride to the drivers side. As I get in, I can again smell the copper of her blood. I'm starting to realize this is not a smell I find pleasant. The smell of her blood sets my wolf on edge. He is trying to claw out of my skin to get to her. I don't know what's going on here, so I quickly pull a u-turn and head for the Pack hospital. I mind linked Dr. Bettis and told him I was on my way with a bleeding wolf.

As I pulled up to the hospital, I told her not to move. I walk around the car and open her door, reaching in and undoing her seat belt. She starts to get out, and I tell her to stop moving.

I slide my right arm under her legs and my left behind her back, and lift her out.

"Alpha, what are you doing?" she asked in shock.

"Taking you inside. You don't need to be walking on that leg right now." I say calmly.

She just wobbles her head, and I continue carrying her in. As we walked in, all eyes were on us, and I heard a low growl. I turn my head in that direction and see Stella with a face of rage. Not really caring right now, and I will deal with that later. I took her to the examination room I was directed to and lay her down on the bed. Dr. Bettis was not far behind me.

"What seems to be the problem here?" he asks.

"I came upon her hobbling down the road. She's bleeding from her leg. Can you take a look at it?" I ask.

"Of course, Alpha." he says.

She sits there quietly, looking away from me. She refuses to look at me. Just look at me!

"Miss Ramsey, I will need you to remove your pants so I can take a look." He states, and a growl escapes my throat.

Where the hell did that come from?