Blind Sided

Writer's Note: Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy the book. If you do, please vote and comment. Today's playlist song is Light You Up by Blue October

---------------------------------------------------------
Jace

I watched as the intruders disappeared with my mate in tow through a portal! I ran as fast as I could. How could I be thirty seconds too late?

Jinx is going crazy in my head, trying to rip through to go find our mate. I have to keep control over him, though. He is so infuriated right now. He would likely kill some innocent person. So a tight leash must be kept.

It felt like hours, standing, looking at where the portal was, but in reality, it was just minutes. I hear the rest of the wolves arriving. They all slide to a stop as they see me standing there nude. Bryan tries to link me, but I shut him out.

I don't know how long I've been standing there when a pair of shorts are shoved in my hand, dragging me out of my daze. Bryan was standing in front of me with sympathy clouding his face. I quickly pull the shorts on and quickly stalk to where Loreli is lying on the ground.

As soon as I see her, my heart drops. They burned her all over. She would heal, but it would be painful and may still scar. I link the pack doctor and inform him they have a burn victim coming their way. We make a stretcher of sorts, out of branches and clothing hid in the storage box.

Carrying her in someone's arms would be too painful, and even having to put her on the stretcher is going to be agony for her. I bend down beside her and tell her everything will be fine. She tries to speak but is unable to. I try linking her, but her wolf is not present. It is hiding in her mind deeply. Too much trauma, in such a little time period.

Four of my best wolves lift her onto the makeshift stretcher, and she releases a guttural scream. It would have been painful no matter how gentle we were. Most importantly, we need to get her to the hospital fast before she starts healing. The wounds would have to go through debridement to prevent infection and hopefully better healing.

I'm trying to focus on what needs immediate attention, but my heart is broken. I didn't protect my mate. I wasn't there in time. How could I fail her like this? All of these thoughts swirled through my mind as I was trying to be a decent Alpha. But right now, I was also mourning the absence of my mate.

Taking in the area, I Inhale deeply and instantly catch all of the scents, but most notably, Stella's. I roar in fury! That disgusting bitch was behind this! I will rip her fucking throat out when I find her. She had help, so hopefully, when Loreli is able to communicate, she will be able to help. Bryan appears in front of me with a forlorn face.

"Updates!" I demanded.

"They used magic to punch a hole in our wards. To be able to do that, it had to be top teir black magic users. The ten guards closest to here on duty were slaughtered. The only recognized scent is Stella's. Whoever it was, she led them here. They were able to portal out because they knew their target location." He answers.

My fury is hot right now. I'm trying very hard to keep it together. Shifting back to my wolf, I link Bryan and have him take care of the aftermath. I take off at an incredible speed. I link my dad on the way.

"Dad, they got Reign! Stella led them to Reign!" I shout through the link.

"Son, we will find her! I will start contacting allies. I'll let your mom know." He replies.

"Loreli is burned badly by witch's fire. She's on her way to the Pack hospital. Can you have mom go there and help look after her? Whenever she is able to link or talk, inform me immediately." I say back.