The One Where I Go Home

It's been a week since I woke

It's been a week since I woke. They won't let me go home. Not yet at least; there's still too many tests to run. Too many unaddressed issues that need correcting.

I haven't seen my mother once; which I expected, but it still hurt. And Atticus ended up leaving, claiming that I didn't need protecting now that I was conscious.

It would have been nice if he stayed. Being around my father and his wife bothered me. They never knew what to say or do, they didn't know me enough to even begin to understand the complexity behind my situation.

  "Good morning, Lucariah!" A nurse barged into my room, making my whole body jerk back. Evan scowled while looking up from his computer screen.

  My insides churned and sweat began to pool along my hairline; I hated my nurses. They were to demanding when it came to their requests or suggestions.

    You should help him shower, dad. Help him walk, mom. Better yet, let me.

   I nearly vomited the first time my nurse helped out. There were hands everywhere, crowding my mind- dredging up more memories I've been battling to repress.

  "I've got great news for you little buddy," I raised an unamused brow, deadpanned. My father looked back and forth between the two of us and at the bathroom door- where Lith had disappeared just moments before.

  "You're going home!"

  Evan perked up, a rare smile blooming on his lips. I remember he was always a serious and stern man, nothing brought him much joy. Seeing him smile now was unnerving. Like my father was replaced by someone- something- new.

"You hear that Luca!" He set his computer aside and ruffled my messy hair, "you can finally snuggle up in your own sheets!" He laughed and ran his hand through my hair again.

Eager to get back to your own life, are we? I thought bitterly, a scowl darkened the atmosphere in the room and Evan paused; surprised by my reaction no doubt.

"Don't you want to get home?" Evan asked.

Did I? I wasn't sure. Some part of me knew things would go back to the way they've always been the moment I get home. Maybe even worse now that I had to use a crutch to walk around.

An awful addition to my life. The accident did a number on my frail leg, a tragedy I could yet begin to mourn. What did this mean for me now? Was I useless now that I got around much slower? Or would I still be treated the same?

I was fitted for a new brace too. No one mentioned any expenses but I assumed that would be discussed in great detail before my discharge.

  "Well, I've got some paperwork for you to sign, Mr. Calloway. So if you could follow me?"

Evan bounced out of his seat, "I'll be right back, Luca. Give me two seconds, I'll be right back." He rushed out the door like a headless chicken, nearly bumping into the doorframe on his way out.