The One Where Evan Makes Amends

Riding in a car with my father was nothing like being in a car with Lith

   Riding in a car with my father was nothing like being in a car with Lith. He didn't play music, he didn't roll the windows down, he didn't make jokes.

   He sat in silence and just drove. If I had half a mind, I would have fallen asleep. But I used the time wisely; cozying up with the man I was supposed to call dad.

   "So," I started out, clearing my throat, "what do you work for?"

   He shrugged, "for money." He smirked my way before dropping it and continuing his drive.

My back is going to hurt from carrying this conversation. I rolled my eyes, turning to look out the window.

Some conversations aren't worth the effort.

"You know-" he said so suddenly I startled, "I didn't quite expect Lith to be in your bedroom when I returned from work."

I stayed quiet, wondering which direction this conversation was going to turn.

"I just find it odd that she chose to talk to my two youngest sons, rather her husband."

"I don't blame her," I shrugged. The scenery around me zoomed by, barely fast enough to make the trees blur; unfortunately, but it was enough to keep my mind occupied as I watched it go.

"Excuse me?" He had the audacity to sound offended.

I shrugged once more, turning to him in incredulousness. It was no secret that he could be doing better. I'm not sure how he was before I arrived, but this behavior was unacceptable.

    Lith's heart is suffering, chipping away piece by piece until it lays scattered like a broken puzzle in her chest.

   She doesn't deserve that.

    "I'm just saying, you're not really getting best husband award this year. You've done messed up."

   "Luca," he gasped. Did he really not realize? Did he not see the damage he's done these past few days? Damage that'll last months, if not a lifetime.

   "Am I wrong?" I sassed.

The world lives in denial. Always playing pretend as the walls crumble around them. As the floor itself gives way.

Evan had a habit of living in denial. He's been living in it since he was young, and I don't think he'll ever want to leave the comfort it provides.

Maybe it was his house of comfort, the moment he gets into his moods was when reality managed to come banging on his door.

I am reality in his eyes; banging on his house of denial. Holding up a clock with the dials spinning uncontrollably, yelling at him to get out of there and face his fears.

Look into the real world, Evan. It's as terrifying and dull as you'd imagine, but it's here and it's for you. And it's time.

"Come on, Crow," he sighed, "I didn't bring you out here to argue. Jericho took the girls to the park and wanted me to bring you. He said he wanted his girls to have a friend within the family."