The One Where I'm Returned

Faron left the party the moment he got off the phone with Atticus, with the promise to send our location and hoping someone would get me

The five of us lay sprawled in the grass. Dakota, Zephr, and Rhys fell asleep the moment their heads touched the ground, but I was fighting the feeling of fatigue until I knew I was safe.

   Faron said I was drugged. And he was furious when he found out who got my drink; he can't say if it was Dakota for certain.

   "I'll question him in the morning," he promised, "maybe knock him around a bit." Faron had smiled; something completely uncharacteristic for him in my opinion, but it suit him well enough.

I didn't trust him though. I couldn't shake the feeling that I knew him and I'm not sure if the memory was a good one.

He sat against a tree, a lit cigarette between his lips. His eyes scanning the open space before us.

When my eyes grew heavier I too sat up, staring at the sky. I felt a gaze on me and turned to Faron.

He had a bitter smile, like he knew something I didn't. He exhaled a cloud of smoke and sighed, "the stars look great, don't they?"

I raised a brow and nodded slowly; my head felt like it was being run over by a semi truck.

"When I was younger- before meeting these fools- I would sit at my window and try to count them all. I don't think people appreciate the magnitude we live for."

I nodded once more, swallowing thickly, "we take the world for granted," I whispered.

  He heaved a sigh, "that we do. That we do. Not until something earth shattering happens do we pay any attention. It happens; we get comfortable."

   I looked away clearing my throat, "yeah, we do."

  "So, you go to school around here? These three are seniors, so you'll see them around."

   I don't know why I felt alright enough to speak around him- maybe it was my drugged up mind, maybe it was the familiarity I felt with him but I asked a question of my own.

  "Do you go to school too?"

  He barked out a laugh, inhaling smoke and letting it go in a puff, "no, kid, I graduated last year. What class are you in?"

   I ran a hand through my hair, remembering the anger I felt earlier this morning. There was absolutely no reason for Evan to place me in that class.

  It didn't matter that I got to reunite with Quinn; I wasn't like him- or the other children in that room for the matter.

   "Mrs. Goldstein," I gritted out, tugging at the hair hanging over my forehead.

   His eyebrows scrunched, "why?"

   I shrugged. Evan said not to question anything. He said to do what I was told, but how could I justify this. How could I ever look him in the eye knowing that this was what he saw of me.