The One Where It's My First Night

Christophen and Ambrosia left the moment Lith brought my bags up; insisting that I needed space to settle in

    And I did.

   My mind went into a state of panic when I opened my new closet and realized that it wasn't as small as I was used to.

   I rolled myself into a corner and still felt no relief.

   Evan found me hyperventilating in the same far corner of my closet two hours later.

  "Luca," he gasped, crouching in front of me, "hey, hey what's wrong? LUCA!" He waved his hand in front of my face, shook my arm.

  I was aware that my mouth was moving but I wasn't sure if anything came out. By the way Evan's eyes widened, I can assume I did.

  What I said? I'll never know. But he pulled me to him and squeezed, compressing my body into his own.

   My breathing calmed gradually; I could hear him whispering, "the space doesn't seem so big now does it?"

   I looked around, staring at the place where the wall met the ceiling. The small fold that existed; wishing I could fold myself in that space and disappear forever.

   I felt a rough kiss press against my cheek and I jerked back. Snapping out of my stupor enough to send him a disgusted glare.

  He had no right to put his lips to my skin, even if it were to show the simple childish tradition on expressing love.

   Evan can love me; but only ever at a distance.

He recoiled instantly, "I'm- I'm sorry, Luc- Crow."

"Next ti-" the air caught in my throat, shocking me into a coughing fit. "Next time," I rasped, "you kiss me...you're dead."

His dark eyes. Eyes that matched my own. Widened on their own accord. I'm sure he imaged my first words to him would be very different then what I'd now given him.

But it didn't matter to me. So long as I could come out unscathed; I didn't care how many people I'd have to leave wounded in my wake.

"Lunchtime," he mumbled, getting up from the floor; hands shaking at his side.

I too, stood; carefully, slowly as to not harm my throbbing leg. And to avoid scaring the man before me further than I already have.

  I'm sure taking me in has proven a more difficult task then Evan has imagined. But I'm also sure that this is his form of lifting coming back in a full circle.

   Punishing him for his past wrongdoings.

He led us down to the dinning room where Lith, Christophen, and Ambrosia sat at a giant glass table. They had a board game out in front of them.

My gaze swept around the room as Evan rushed to the open kitchen to get whatever they prepared.

The space was too modern for my taste. Too many metals and glass. Vibrant primary colors attacking my senses.

"Luca!" Christophen practically squealed, "sit next to me!"

I lumbered to the chair beside him; my eyes hyper focused on the game. It's been a very long time since I played.

Mother threw out all my toys when I went missing; claimed she wasn't sure if I'd ever come back. I never got any new ones.

And all my friends liked to act older than they were. We were all forced to grow up too fast.

"Do you want to play, hun?" Lith beamed, sliding a few cards my way.

"No! Luca is on my team," Christophen pouted pushing the cards back at Lith, "do you know how to play?"

I hesitated before shaking my head. I don't remember ever playing this game.

"That's odd," he mumbled, "we used to play it all the time."

My mouth dropped into an O; what else was I supposed to do? Tell them that my memory is clouded over to the point that I didn't even remember my own brothers faces until I saw them again.

Not to mention the fact that I hadn't even seen Jericho- not in the hospital, not while I'm here. Then again, I haven't seen Eziekel either.

They must be at work.

"I hope you like corn salad," Evan placed the bowl on the rotating tray in the center of the table.

  My nose scrunched at the prospect of eating something unfamiliar. Especially since I was still too full from the diner.

"Want to try a bit, Luca?" Evan served a bowl and looked up at me, raising a brow in question.

My head shook. Turning back towards the game as Ambrosia moved a little character on the board.

"Just a little?"

I shot a withering glare his way, my hands closing into fists. If he made any move I didn't like I'd strike him right now.

A hand ran down my face and I flinched, turning towards Christophen with a frown.

"Don't do that," he scolded, turning to the game for his turn. "You'll get wrinkles." He explained.

Ambrosia giggled into her hands and nodded. "I tell him that all the time. Sometimes he does that same face in his sleep an-"

"Yeah," he cut off, "and then she wakes me up, for what Ambrose?! For what?!"

"So you can stop making that face!"

"That's just- I- what?!" Christophen stammered.

This time I couldn't hold back a chuckle. His expression was absolutely ridiculous.

The couple stood up and high fives, cheering amongst themselves. "I did it! I made him laugh," Christophen exclaimed, "I made you laugh!"

  They were silenced by the sound of the front door opening. And an awfully familiar voice shouting, "I'm home!"