chapter 5

Jungkook's eyes slowly fluttered open, and he found himself in the dimly lit room

Jungkook's eyes slowly fluttered open, and he found himself in the dimly lit room. Rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand, he shifted on the bed, his body feeling heavy and his mind foggy. He had cried himself to sleep, the emotional turmoil of the day taking a toll on him.

As he blinked away the remnants of tears, he became acutely aware of the aftermath of his emotions. His cheeks were stained with dried tears, and his eyes were puffy and sore. His throat felt tight from the sobbing that had wracked his body.

A low rumble from his stomach reminded him of another pressing concern: hunger. He hadn't eaten since he had been released from the courtroom, and the pain of an empty stomach clawed at him.

Jungkook reached for his phone, the screen illuminating to reveal the time. It was already evening, and he had slept for several hours. He sniffled, wiping his nose with the back of his hand as he contemplated his next steps.

Gathering his strength, he rose from the bed and headed to the small kitchenette. As he opened the fridge, he remembered the packages Taehyung had left. Inside were containers from a luxurious restaurant, along with a few bottles of water and dishes.

Jungkook took a bowl, a spoon, and a pair of chopsticks, setting them on the table. He didn't have the energy to reheat the food, so he began to eat it as it was, his thoughts elsewhere.

Absently, he spooned food into his mouth, but his gaze kept drifting to the expensive packaging. It was a stark reminder of the stark difference between his life and the world Taehyung inhabited.

Expensive food meant little to him now; he yearned for something that no amount of luxury could provide—a comforting presence, a warm embrace, and a listening ear.

Jungkook wiped away a fresh tear with the back of his hand, the taste of salt on his lips a bitter reminder of his emotional turmoil. He continued to eat, forcing the food down.

He replayed the choices that had brought him to this moment in his mind. Accepting the mafia leader's offer had not been an easy decision. If the punishment for his alleged crime had been death or something equally final, he might not have hesitated. But the prospect of spending years in prison, surrounded by potential threats, had been enough to make him consider the alternative.

It was a choice between two uncertainties. In prison, he would be at the mercy of a system that might not protect him from harm. Anyone could touch him, and there would be little he could do to stop it. The thought had been unbearable.

So he had taken a leap of faith and decided to trust the words of a stranger. Taehyung had promised that neither he nor anyone else would touch Jungkook without his consent. It was a slim hope, but it was better than the prospect of imprisonment.

As Jungkook continued to eat, he made a silent vow to himself. He would do everything in his power to repay the mafia leader's favour over the next year. Then they would part ways, and he could regain some semblance of control over his life.