chapter 25

The sudden shift in Taehyung's demeanour did not escape the notice of three boys

The sudden shift in Taehyung's demeanour did not escape the notice of three boys. Their puzzled expressions, their silent inquiries, were hanging in the air like an unspoken question. 

Even Jungkook, with his gentle demeanour, appeared concerned, his brow furrowed with worry. A pang of regret gnawed at Taehyung's heart as he met Jungkook's worried gaze. He knew he should leave to spare Jungkook from the storm raging within him.

Taehyung's smiled as he showed his phone to Jungkook. "I need to make an important call," he murmured, his grip tight with unspoken tension.

Jungkook nodded, his keen perception catching the subtle signs of Taehyung's unease. He could sense the tension radiating from Taehyung, like a tightly wound coil ready to snap.

As Taehyung turned to leave, his footsteps heavy with the weight of unresolved emotions, he paused and glanced back at Jungkook. "Let's meet at dinner, okay?" he said, his voice soft.

Jungkook's heart sank at the visible veins of Taehyung's forehead, his concern deepening with each passing moment. He offered a reassuring nod, masking his own worries for Taehyung's sake.

With Taehyung's departure, a heavy silence descended upon the room, punctuated only by the soft glow of the television screen. Jungkook's mind buzzed with questions, each more urgent than the last, yet he remained rooted to his seat, unwilling to disrupt the fragile peace. It was his friends' first visit to his home.

The movie played on, its scenes unfolding like a distant echo against the backdrop of Jungkook's troubled thoughts. He wrestled with the decision to approach Taehyung.

As the credits rolled and the room stirred with movement, Jungkook seized the opportunity to seek solace in Taehyung's presence. "I'll be back in a bit," he announced, his voice tinged with determination.

Yugyeom and Jinyoung exchanged puzzled glances, their curiosity piqued by Jungkook's sudden departure.

"Eighty-nine, eighty-nine, no, ninety." In the dimly lit basement hall, Taehyung's voice echoed softly as he murmured the count of the tiles beneath his bare feet, his gaze fixed downward, lost in the rhythmic pattern of the floor.

'I should be happy for my Scarlet. He's just catching up with his friends. No reason to feel threatened.'

"ninety-eight, ninety-nine,"

The basement, despite its size, bore the scars of its dark purpose. If not for the diligent use of hydrogen peroxide, its floors would be marred with bloodstains, carrying the stench of violence, pain, and deaths.

Torture equipment lurked in the shadows, reminders of the sinister activities that unfolded in the depths below. Amidst it all stood a solitary table, adorned with a digital chronicle, a silent witness to the passage of time in this bleak underworld.

"One hundred twenty-one," As Taehyung continued his count, his breaths came in measured intervals, each exhaling a fleeting release from the turmoil brewing within.