chapter 16

Jungkook's footsteps echoed softly in the dining hall as he entered, greeted by the comforting sight of Chae bustling about, her movements a symphony of efficiency and warmth.

"Good morning, Kook." Chae's cheerful voice broke the silence, infusing the space with a sense of familiarity and camaraderie.

"Good morning, Noona," A smile tugged at Jungkook's lips in response to Chae's greeting, his eyes scanning the room for any signs of activity. The usual chatter and laughter that accompanied their morning rituals were conspicuously absent, replaced by an unspoken tension that hung in the air like a heavy veil.

Curiosity piqued, and Jungkook settled into his seat, the wooden chair creaking softly beneath him. "Why is it so quiet today?" he inquired, his voice carrying a hint of concern.

Chae's movements faltered for a moment as she turned to face Jungkook, her expression carefully composed yet betraying a hint of gravity. "They've all gone to the headquarters for a crucial meeting," she explained, her tone masking the seriousness of the situation.

As Chae served him his breakfast, Jungkook absorbed her words, a sense of unease settling in the pit of his stomach. The knowledge that something significant was unfolding beyond the confines of the mansion weighed heavily on him, casting a shadow over the morning routine he had grown accustomed to.

His gaze wandered towards the staircase, a silent vigil for any sign of Taehyung's presence. Despite his longing to see Taehyung, Jungkook hesitated to approach his room.

"You should ask Sajangnim if he's ready for breakfast. You always look longingly there, waiting for him at every dinner and breakfast." Chae's gentle admonition drew Jungkook's attention, her words a gentle reminder of his unspoken yearning.

"I don't," Jungkook protested softly, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment as he busied himself with his meal, seeking solace in the familiar taste of food.

Chae's affectionate smile conveyed her understanding, a silent acknowledgment of the complexities woven into Jungkook's relationship with her boss. As she disappeared into the kitchen to prepare Taehyung's breakfast, Jungkook was left alone with his thoughts, grappling with the uncertainty that loomed on the horizon.

With a heavy exhale, Jungkook withdrew his phone from his pocket, the cool metal a stark contrast against the warmth of his palm. He wrestled with his inner turmoil, grappling with the fear of intruding upon Taehyung's world with trivial matters.

Placing the phone on the polished surface of the dining table, Jungkook's gaze remained fixed on it, a silent testament to the internal struggle raging within him. Taehyung's dual identity as both a corporate titan and a figure in the shadowy underworld loomed large in Jungkook's mind. He was a very busy man.

The memory of Taehyung's customary presence at the dining table, a silent vigil for Jungkook's arrival, tugged at Jungkook's heartstrings, a poignant reminder of the intimacy they shared amidst the chaos of their respective worlds.