PART 6 : UNPLANNED DINNER

I finish reading my newspaper. I am really craving for some Chai. I go out at the tapri and ask for some. Here, they serve really good tea. I wonder if I will get a job today. I know not everybody is interested in the job of being an librarian and mostly are there for getting some money. But let's see.

It's 10:00p.m. and no call has come yet. I feel sad and tired at the same time. I feel like I did good then why this. I am strolling in the terrace with some lofi music. I don't know but I regret giving the interview. I don't want to have any more failures. It's the saddest part. I try to give everything a try but when it doesn't work out I feel upset like I gave my everything too it. It's okay Anika. You'll be fine.

Rishita comes in dancing like a maniac. She is chitchatting with her friend on phone. "Didi you are still here. Everyone is done with their dinner". says Rishita.
" What? They didn't call me." I reply shockingly
"Oh no. They were having their dinner all this time. They must have thought that you will do it late or something. They are very busy in serving guests so maybe that's why".
" What guests? Who has come?" I ask.
" Oh. Vihaan Bhaiya and their parents are here so everyone's busy in serving them."
A sudden rush of anxiety runs through me. I feel weak at stomach and heavy at heart at the same time. Vihaan has come. I feel scared. Damn. Why has he come here the same day. If I didn't perform well enough, he'll say that to everyone since he already doesn't like my attitude. I don't want to lick his feet too. But again I feel scared man.

I am sweaty with the walk. I go on to take a shower. Maybe he'll go by then. I won't face him If not required. I change into a plain night suit and apply some tint. I hear laughs and chatter from outside. Oh they must all be here then. The living room is full of people. My father is sitting there and chatting with Vikram uncle. Man why these high class people are here in the first place.

" Namaste uncle. Namaste aunty" I say to them.
"Oh she's your daughter. Namaste beta."
My father smiles.
"So what are you upto these days" they ask.
" nothing much uncle. Just going to get done with my Masters next year and then maybe will want to pursue a PhD if not competitive exams." I reply
" Oh that's nice. You're ambitious that's good." They say warmly.
" Well all your cousins are out for icecream. Go and enjoy." They say to me
" Sure uncle" I reply.

Why did these people not invite me. I come outside the house and there they are. Everybody laughing and chatting so loudly, even walls can hear. I go over to them. Vihaan and Krishant Bhaiya are narrating some wild story and everyone's laughing.

" Hi" I say. I feel so not included in this. Why did they not call me.
" Hi Anika. Good work today. We''ve been waiting for you" Says Vihaan. Yet did not care to give a call. Oh also he liked it but did not call.
" We thought you must be studying so didn't bother. Well what nice work did she do?" asks Aashna Di curiously.
" Oh I took her interview today for the post of librarian. She performed really well." Says Vihaan.
I can sense everybody staring and it's exhausting.
" Thankyou." I reply
" Oh have some icecream Anika" says Krishant Bhaiya.
I go on to buy a chocolate truffle for myself and sit in the corner. Everybody's talking and laughing. I am enjoying too.
" Well what kind of books do you like to read Anika" asks Vihaan looking right at me. His look makes me nervous sometimes or maybe I am just very new to talking with strangers with that zeal.
" Oh mostly all sorts but specifically the young adult, some fantasy, some philosophical classics as well I really enjoy them if I am in the mood, and ofcourse the bestsellers". I reply
"Oh that's quite a choice. Do you have some favourites?" he asks
" Oh yes I really like the famous series of Hunger games, HP. Then I also enjoyed some great classics like pride and prejudice, war and peace, da Vinci code and more of Jeffrey archer. I like Charles Bulwoski,Charlotte Bronte, Virginia Woolf, and Oscar Wilde a lot for that matter. But in terms of young adult fiction, the list is neverending as they are very light and easy to comprehend. " I reply
" Oh that's so great. Wow so you are a reader then." He replies while laughing. I like that he is so interested in reading.
"Oh we medicos don't even get time for reading something out for our own pleasure. It's just too exhausting" says Aashna Di.
" I agree." Says Sanjana Di.
" Well, reading is like breathing for readers. So they always read regardless. I for that matter confine myself to read not more than 50 pages a day. And I swear at that time I feel like I am the most happiest person in the world." Says Vihaan trying to make them understand. He glances at me. I try to approve of that with my wide smile. But them I retrieve it so that I don't offend anybody here.

" Well, Anika. Be ready tomorrow. You have some good work to do." Says Vihaan
" Am I selected?" I shriek
" Yes you have been and that too permanently. We didn't have many people who were comfortable with night shift. You are lucky. I had a talk with you father. If it's comfortable with you, we will provide you with a guest room to make it safe for you at night at free of cost. That would be an no issue thing for us as the demand is not so high whatsoever. So now the choice is yours." Says Vihaan trying to fill maximum information in his sentences.
"Sure Sir. Thankyou so much. I am left with no words at the moment. Good night." I feel delighted.

Man I just feel so happy. This will be such an all new experience to me. Finally after coming out of that toxic manipulative relationship, I feel true freedom now. The stars have turned into my way now. I feel so happy. Yess.