PART 14 : I HATE HIM

Why on earth did yesterday had to be so miserable? I cleared everything up with Sanjana Di yesterday. To my surprise, she refused to support me and even went to the extent to tell me " that Anika I think you might be acting a little eager. It's Anjali's wedding in the next 15 days but you show no interest at all and have already de aligned from the family. It's like to you everything's about that library now. I don't know if it's Vihaan or something else, but you just seem really off."

She atleast recognised that the Aadarsh part looked made up as she barely trusts that men like me but the rest of it is just miserable.

What a narrative Aashna Di has spread of me and others like Kalpana and Anshika Bhabhi backed her cut to cut. I know it might be because of her interest in Vihaan that apparently everyone knows about but why did she have to do this? I know for a matter of fact that Aadarsh's father gave a major tendor to Aashna Di's father once hence the good relations but she would go to this extent I had never thought. Afterall, we get hurt most by the people we trust the most.

Whatever might be the case, I need to brush off every drop of paint spilled on me. I don't need these narratives to go beyond anymore. I will distance myself as best as possible.

Vihaan is hosting a welcome party for his family today for which the staff would be volunteering rather than working. But before that, I want to have a conversation with my cousins about everything. I get dressed decently and rush back to my cousin's.

Everyone treats me warmly and I proceed to help Sanjana Di with tea and snacks.
" Di should I go and have a direct conversation about what happened? Tbh, I barely slept last night and it still hurts." I ask Sanjana Di.
She pours the cardamom tea in the tea cups and I help her in putting rusks and biscuits on the side. She looks at me and says " What can I even say Anika? If you have something to talk about, I think you should break the ice."
I nod.

We all start having tea but unfortunately I couldn't gather the courage to actually start off a conversation about yesterday.

4:30. P.M.

I dress very formally today with brown-clay Shirt tucked inside chocolate brown pants with formal black heels. I straighten up my hear and put on some decent makeup with my favourite winged liner.

" Oh my god! Doing everything to make the emperor fall or what." exclaims Kalpana drawing everybody's attention.

"What does that even mean?." My cheeks are gushing with heat. I feel angry suddenly.

" We all know what it means. Common Anika we know where your attention is towards these days? Studies or something else we all have an idea haa. " Says Aashna Di wickedly. I actually hate her now.

" I don't even get it what's up with you all. All I am trying here is to get a job for a decent pay so that I can make up for what I've lost these last two years. But why are you guys acting up like this." I say grimly.

" Are but we are just kidding baba. Plus, it's not bad to like somebody you know. After all we all know how he looks Anika it's completely normal." Says Aashna Di trying to comfort me or something.

" but Di it's not comforting at all. I don't like Vihaan. I don't even know why you guys thought like that. Yes he saved me from Aadarsh one day but that was all." I snap.

" Saved from Aadarsh. Oh come on, he's such a good guy yet you don't care about him. He has come from London for you and here you..."

" That's a load of crap Di!! Aadarsh is a wrong man for me. And plus we broke up six months ago it was he who broke up. And I am over it now. I love being single that's all. And I don't feel anything for Vihaan. It won't even make me budge if I hurt him in any way. I don't have any regards for him." I complete.

" Oh really. Why don't you try doing that then?" She says raising her eyebrows.

" Well that would be just unethical. And why should I do that, I already like someone from my past college." I lie just to divert from this crap.

" Oh really that's really great. Who's the lucky man Anika?" asks Sanjana Di with pure delight.

" Well later dii. I have a programme to attend. Take care you all." I wave a good bye to them smilingly.

6:08 P.M.
I reach the venue at right time today thankfully. Today, the crowd is more than usual. I feel a sudden rush of jitters inside me. With all that has happened, I don't even want to go inside. Funny how, few weeks ago I was dying to work here and now I feel like having a normal yearn to earn with no zeal per se.

People are roaming here and there. They have chosen the theme to be lavendar which is quite unusual since Vihaan mostly chooses the colours brown, White, yellow and stuff basically the Vintage theme. Maybe it's his family that he wants to make everything so bright.

I go to the Chai counter to have some of it. Afterall, who doesn't crave for a good chai for free? I go forward to have some snacks but I spot Abhi. I rush to him.

"Sir.. Umm sorry Good evening Sir. Have they arrived?" I ask him.
He turns around from him table and takes a quick look at me. Obviously I am all brown today. Only if I had known, I would have turned up in some bright colours.
" Well, volunteers were supposed to come 30 minutes prior. But anyways, like I mailed you the details before, please go to the library and check if the chairs have been organised well. After all is done, call me for a final look." He orders.

SHOOT. I Forgot to check the mail. I open it. It says
"The venue today would be at the same place where you work. It's a small event hence the place. The eating and other arrangements would be there in the garden outside. But the main meeting would be there in the library since it's the first time his complete family is coming here with some of his very close friends involved. Please make sure that the arrangements are proper. The guests will arrive somewhere at 7.00. P.M. "

Shit!!! I don't have enough time. I rush upstairs and order the team that's under me to arrange the chairs and tables likewise. There won't be a lot of people who will sit here just 20 to 25. So that won't be a problem.

But even then, I lay the table and chair in a parallel position like that of a conference room. I make arrangements for good looking glasses, mineral water, a basket of snacks by Haldirams, and a pack of local fresh sweets. Since the theme is lavendar, I make the arrangement of white roses and lavendar in a well shaped intricate vase on each person's space. I feel that it's good to go. I don't want to overdo it since people will come here to mainly look at the way the library's been organised so if they will order the arrangement to bring to the side, I'll be easily able to do so.