Chapter 4: Training With Tanjiro

"It's been a few days since I've started training with Tanjiro. To be honest, it's much better to have someone to talk to other than Urokodaki-san, but the training has become harder. I can almost detect all the traps now. It's weird. My sense of touch has become better as I can sense things that normal people can't. Mom used to say it was because I can sense auras. I can't really explain it otherwise. Not only have I become more agile and faster than I used to be, but I'm also much stronger now, thanks to the training."

"Oh god. He's definitely trying to kill us," (Y/n) said, almost falling into a pit filled with spikes.
"You're right about that." Just then, Tanjiro nearly got impaled by a knife that appeared out of the air randomly.

"We're running downhill with a katana today. It is annoying having to bear extra weight along with detecting the traps, but I'll manage. That is, unless I don't die. But as me and Tanjiro are carrying a heavier burden, we keep falling into the traps. I'm really grateful we're both still in one piece..."

Later...
"996, 997, 998, 999, 1000!" (Y/n) and Tanjiro said in chorus. They were learning to brandish their sword and felt as if they were about to die from all the training.

"Give me 500 more!" Urokodaki said as both of the students froze.
"What????"
"No fair!"

🌺

"Katanas snap off easily,"  that's what Urokodaki-san had told us early on. "They are good at sustaining perpendicular force, but the same can't be said about horizontal force. So, one must yield it with full perpendicular force. The direction of the blade must be completely unanimous with the direction of the brandishing force. Or else, it will damage the katana."

"In other words, if the katana breaks, so will your bones," Urokodaki warned as the duo's sweat dropped.

🌺

"Today, it's the throwdown ceremony. No matter how you're thrown down, you must sustain it properly and get back up fast."
(Y/n) raised her sword and threw it at Urokodaki, while Urokodaki was unarmed and unprotected. However, (Y/n) just got thrown down again along with Tanjiro.

"Ow!"
"That hurt!"

...Tanjiro and (Y/n) kept being thrown down by Urokodaki for the rest of the day.

That evening...
"Tanjiro-kun, why do you think Nezuko-san's still sleeping? It's been 6 months since she fell asleep..." (Y/n) asked Tanjiro with a worried expression.
"I don't really know. I hope she'll wake up soon..."
"Yeah. I hope so too."

(Y/n) could sense Tanjiro was really worried about Nezuko. She had often seen Tanjiro looking at Nezuko worriedly. Urokodaki had invited a doctor to inspect Nezuko, but they couldn't find the problem. She felt Nezuko was sleeping to regain her strength as she had no source of energy for over half a year but kept her suspicions to herself.

🌺

Today, Tanjiro and (Y/n) were learning breathing techniques of Water breathing.
"Total concentration breathing?" Tanjiro asked.

"That's right. I'm going to pass down all ten Breath of Water forms to you both."

"Like letting oxygen run into all cells in every part of your body, it's to concentrate your breathing for a long period. This is to improve your body's ability to heal and to stabilize and activate your mind and spirit. Relax the upper half of your body and keep the lower half stable and still," Urokodaki instructed. The duo tried to copy the instructions.

"Good. Now breathe."

Tanjiro and (Y/n) took a deep breath.

"That's not the way!" Urokodaki reprimanded them, punching their stomachs.
"Ouch!" Tanjiro exclaimed, clutching his stomach.

"Now, breath styles.."

"Right, is it like this?" Tanjiro asked, doing a weird pose.
"No."
"This?" (Y/n) asked.
"No."
"This?"
"No."
"THIS??"
"NOT AT ALL!"
Urokodaki punched their stomachs again.

Waterfall training...
"Alright. Get in there now."
Urokodaki said, kicking Tanjiro off the cliff and into the water.
"AHHHHH!!! NEZUKO!!! (Y/n)-CHAN!!!!!"

Horrified, (Y/n) tried to run away.

"(Y/n)!", Urokodaki yelled.
"Oh shi-"

🌺

"NEZUKO!!! (Y/n)-CHAN!!!! I AM WATER!!!!"
Tanjiro and (Y/n) were standing directly under the waterfall trying to stabilize their mind, just as Urokodaki instructed.

"TANJIRO-KUN! SHUT UP AND LET ME CONCENTRATE-"

Later that night...
(Y/n) was trying to clear her mind that night, so she was lying on the grass, just gazing up at the stars alone with her thoughts.
"I can't believe it's been over a year since I left my home... I wonder how they're doing now."

"(Y/n)-chan? You're still not asleep?"
"Huh? Tanjiro-kun? What are you doing here?", (Y/n) asked, the moonlight shining brilliantly down on her, making Tanjiro awe at her beauty.

"Oh, the stars look so pretty. I wanted to see them."
"She looks so beautiful tonight, the stars pale in comparison...", Tanjiro thought, slightly blushing.

"Same here. I wanted to clear my thoughts. It's hard to believe it's been so long since I left my home."
"It's hard for me to believe that too. Everything's changed so much compared to last year..." Tanjiro lay down beside (Y/n), his hands intertwined beneath his head.

"You know, I ran away from my home."

"Yeah. Wait... you ran away? I didn't know that. Why?"

"It's a long story."
"I have time."

(Y/n) sighed. "My dad treated me horribly back when I lived at my home. My mom always used to protect me from my dad's abusive nature, even my brother's. One day, I came back home to see her lifeless body in the lake we always used to go to."

Tanjiro looked at (Y/n).
"W-w-wait, what?"

"My older brother killed her."

Tanjiro looked at her with an awestruck expression, trying to process the new information. "Why would he... why would he kill his own mother?" He couldn't understand how toxic some families could be, especially since he used to be so close with his own.

"I don't really know... I guess he wanted all the inheritance to himself or something. He never used to love me and our mother. In fact, he despised us. I've always tried to get close to him, but never could. After my mother died, I came here. My dad became even more abusive towards me after my mom's death.", (Y/n) whispered in a quiet tone, never once taking her eyes off the stars.

Tanjiro felt angry at the younger girl's family, unable to understand how people could value money over family. "I can't believe this... She deserves so much better."

"But I have you guys now," (Y/n) said, finally taking her eyes off the starlit sky.
"Huh?"
"You and Urokodaki-san are almost like a family to me. It feels like a complete family, like the one I never had..."

"She... considers me as her family?" Tanjiro felt flustered.

"Thanks for always looking out for me, Tanjiro-kun."
(Y/n) smiled at Tanjiro.

Tanjiro smiled back.
"Same here."

"I'll find a way to make you mine forever, (Y/n)," he thought.

They both spent that night stargazing and talking on the lonesome mountain.