Chapter 21: Slaughter

Warning: Descriptions of murder, blood, and gore.

                                                                                       🌺

"Are you alright now?" (Y/n) asked the yellow-haired boy beside her and offered him another paper napkin. He nodded.

The girl walked in between the two boys, Tanjiro at her right and Zenitsu at her left. Tanjiro made sure to be wary of the yellow-triangle-themed creature that walked beside his partner.

"Now that I've calmed down, I'm getting a bit hungry..." Zenitsu mumbled as he blew his nose with the napkin.
"Honestly, same," Tanjiro said.

"That's why I told you to bring food with yourself, Tanjiro Kamado," (Y/n) scolded. "But you were too busy obsessing over my concussion."
"About that..."

The girl sighed and handed the boys two rice balls. "I bought these from a store earlier."
"Oh, thank you," said Zenitsu. Tanjiro took one too.

"Don't you have anything to eat?" Tanjiro asked.
"That was all I had. Don't worry though, I'm alright," (Y/n) smiled.

"Not at all. You have to take half," Tanjiro divided his rice ball into two and offered it to the girl.
"Are you sure?"
"Of course!" He smiled.

"Here, you take half of mine too," Zenitsu also gave (Y/n) half of his rice ball.
"You don't have to, you know," she took the rice ball.
"I insist, don't worry."

Tanjiro glared at Zenitsu, but he didn't seem to notice. If anything, he was trying to get closer to the girl because he wanted to find out if the two were dating.

"They're definitely dating..." he grumbled in his head.
"Is he trying to take (Y/n)-chan from me? I REALLY hope not, it might cost him a lot," Tanjiro gritted his teeth. "Or maybe I'm judging him too fast..."

"CAW! RUN FOR IT!" Tanjiro's crow, Matsuemon Tennoji (but let's just call him Tennoji), who had disappeared a few minutes ago, and Yoshi appeared again. "Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and (Y/n), run for it!"
"You guys are too lazy. Can't you go southeast already?" Yoshi complained.

"THE CROWS TALK?!?!?!"

                                                                                       🌺

"Goodness (Y/n), Tanjiro. I don't think I'll be of any help to you guys as your companion," Zenitsu complained for the 16th time.
"Hmm, don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine," Tanjiro said absentmindedly as he climbed the hill along with others in search of the demon.

"So here we are... Tanjiro-kun, gimme Nezuko's box," (Y/n) snatched the box from Tanjiro's shoulders.
"Aw, not again," he whined.

"What's that?" Zenitsu shrieked as he pointed in front of him.
"It's a... house. In the middle of nowhere," replied the girl. "Why is it here?"

"So the scent was coming from here..." Tanjiro muttered in concentration, searching for more scents as he approached the clearing containing the house.
"I did sense a presence. Yep, it's probably here," said (Y/n).

"What are you guys about? Never mind the presence or the smell, what about the sound coming from the house?"
"Sound? I can't hear anything," replied Tanjiro.

"Guys?" (Y/n) said from behind the boys. "There are children here."
The boys turned to see a boy, about eleven years of age, hugging a girl in fear who seemed to be his little sister.

"What are you kids doing here?" Tanjiro approached the kids but they cowered away in fear.
"They seem quite terrified," he thought.

"Okay, I'll show you something you might like," he kneeled in front of the kids and put on his big-brother mode. He brought out Chuntaro, Zenitsu's sparrow, from behind him in his hand and showed it to the kids.
"Chu! Chu!" the sparrow jumped cutely in order to try and comfort the kids. It worked.