Chapter 23: More Important Than Life

Warnings: Blood, fighting, Inosuke

                                                                      🌺

"Beat it!" Tanjiro shouted to Teruko.

The demon beat one of his drums twice just as the room changed. The room turned 180 degrees but he was able to land safely on the ceiling which was now the floor. Kyogai beat the drum on his abdomen 4 times, yet Tanjiro was able to dodge all the scratches which could've split him into 4 pieces if they had hit him.

                                                                      🎗

Tanjiro's POV...
The drum on the right shoulder meant the room would rotate right. The left drum would turn the room left. Drum on the right leg meant the room would move forward and drum on his left leg would mean backward.

The worst one was the one on his stomach. The scratch. 

I could somehow maneuver in the room by observing his movements, but as the beats got faster, it became increasingly harder to follow them.

I tried to close the distance between us but the demon beat the stomach drum again, and the scratch forced me to return. Tamayo-san may have treated my wounds, but my ankle sprain still hadn't yet fully healed. It was a pain to run and jump continuously to fight him.

Water comes in all shapes and sizes. In a measuring cup, it's square. In a vase, it is round. Sometimes, it can smash a rock and spread its pieces all over. That's how the Breath of Water works. It can change itself according to the opponent.

A scratch traveled its way toward me across the room, but I managed to dodge it. 

"Screw you!" the demon shouted. "You're so annoying. I want to eat the marechi now!"

Three scratches and seven more turns. I barely had any time to think, so I decided to distract him.
"Hey, what's your name?" I asked him.
The demon seemed a bit startled. "Kyo...gai."
"Kyogai. You have an amazing Blood Demon Art, but I'm afraid you can't have the rare blood." He was distracted for a second by my words.

I rushed towards him, shortening the distance. "Breath of Water, Ninth Form: Splashing Water Flow!" The opening threat connected my sword to his throat and I beheaded him in one swift slash.

I landed outside the room, barely managing not to fall. Kyogai's head fell on the floor with a pool of blood underneath it.

Oh, right. I had to take a sample of blood. 

I took the knife out of my haori and threw it on the now-fading demon's body. It extracted the blood automatically after piercing the demon's body. Yushiro's skill for making such objects was impressive.

"Meow." A ginger-white-brown cat appeared suddenly, startling me.
"You're here to help me deliver this to Tamayo-san, right?" 
Surprisingly, it nodded. I guess he did understand me.
"You're the best," I petted him and put the knife inside the bag he was carrying. "Here you go. Be careful on the road, alright?"

However, he meowed again and disappeared, never reaching the road. It was probably Yushiro's spell.

                                                                      🎗

"Zenitsu, don't you think we're going in circles?" (Y/n) asked the scared yellow human.
"Right!?! I thought so too!" he exclaimed with tears in his eyes. "What do we do now??"
"Zenitsu-san, why don't you chill out for a second and use your brain instead of panicking?" Shoichi said. 

"I am using my brain, but I am too scared to use my brain," he sniffled.
"Does that even make any sense?" (Y/n) asked with dotted eyes.
"I don't know, I'm too scared to thi-" Zenitsu's sentence was cut off as the room suddenly rotated 90 degrees so the door was now the floor. The three of them fell through the door that connected to the balcony of the third floor, falling out of the building.