Chapter 11: The Hand Demon

"What on earth is that?? Is that... a demon???" Tanjiro panicked, hiding behind a tree. A monstrously large, veiny, hulking monster with olive-green skin chased a man screaming for help. 

"Why does it have to be so damn big? Nobody told me about this beast!" The man shouted, falling onto the ground.

The demon held a dead boy in one of his many hands, walking slowly towards the terrified male. Tanjiro stayed hidden behind the tree, contemplating what to do next.

The hand demon opened his gigantic mouth and slowly devoured the person, while Tanjiro and the male looked in horror as the demon multiplied in size. 
"It ate the person!" Tanjiro thought, horrified.

The fallen male started screaming again and tried to run away. However, the hand demon extended his hand and grabbed the male by his ankle, making him scream as the demon brought him closer to his mouth.
"Don't be scared," Tanjiro told himself, one hand on his sword's handle while the other held the sheath. "I have to save him. I have to save him somehow!" he thought, trying to take action despite his trembling legs.

"I'm no longer the helpless kid I used to be. If I tremble at the sight of a demon, I won't be able to protect (Y/n)-chan in the future. Now go!" 

Tanjiro jumped towards the demon.

"Breath of Water, Second Form: Water Wheel!" Tanjiro cut off the demon's hand, freeing the male, and stood in front of him. Blood flowed out of the demon's half-severed hand.

"You're back, my cute little fox." The demon turned to Tanjiro. Despite his hand being cut off, the hand demon had a smug tone to his voice.
"Back?" Tanjiro questioned.

"My dear little fox, what year of the Meiji era is it?" He asked.
"Huh? It's now the Taiso era." Tanjiro slightly stuttered, his sword held protectively in front of him.

"...Taisho?" the hand demon repeated.

Just then, the creature let out a blood-curdling scream. "IT'S A NEW ERA!" he bellowed, stamping his hands on the ground and scratching his body, letting out blood, "YOU CHANGED TO A NEW ERA! YOU CHANGED IT. YOU CHANGED IT WHEN I'M TRAPPED IN THIS GODDAMN PLACE!! AHH! I CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN!!!" the olive-skinned demon rambled on in a fury.
"I'LL NEVER EVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THIS! DAMN YOU, UROKODAKI!" he shouted.

"How do you know Urokodaki-san?" Tanjiro asked the furious demon, the man behind him looking at the scene in front of him in horror.
"Of course I do. It was him who brought me here," he hissed. "I'll never forget what happened 47 years ago. That bastard was a demon hunter in the Edo period, the Keio era," explained the gigantic creature.

"A demon hunter in the Edo period??"
"You're a liar!" the man behind Tanjiro screamed. "There's no demon that could live so long. After all, only demons who ate three people are held in captivity here!" The man was still sitting on the ground behind Tanjiro and had barely mustered up his courage enough to speak.

"But I've been alive and kicking all this while," the demon replied smugly, enjoying the terrified face of the man, "As I waited behind the bars of wisteria, I've eaten a total of fifty people, you brats!"

"Fifty people?!?" Tanjiro exclaimed.

The demon opened his fingers, signifying the amount of people he killed, "Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen. Thirteen of you brats. You going to be the fourteenth one." 
"What are you talking about??"

The demon laughed. "It is the number of Urokodaki's disciples that I have devoured." He laughed again. "It has been my resolution to gobble up every kid he has taught," he replied with a smug tone.

Tanjiro gasped. "By the way, there were two of them who left me a great impression," the demon continued, "One of them was a rascal of a rare peach hair color. He was the strongest. He had a scar on his cheek. The other one was a little girl in a flowery kimono. She was a petite of little strength, but she was a pretty quick mover." The demon laughed. "Of course, they're both dead now."

"W-what? They were... killed by this demon? Sabito and Makomo?" Tanjiro wondered in awe. "But I saw them..."

The demon pointed towards Tanjiro's mask with multiple fingers. "That fox mask is a souvenir. I remember every fine line of every mask that Urokodaki crafted. He said it's a talisman mask, right? I've eaten up every person who wore that mask. It's as if Urokodaki sent all his students to their deaths!" The demon laughed, mainly to anger Tanjiro even more.

Meanwhile, Tanjiro was standing in front of the demon, trying to control his seething anger. "One time I said this, the little girl got so mad that she cried like a baby." He chuckled. "But soon after, she started rocking and tugging at me. So I tore off her limbs and..." he trailed off, laughing at the boy's reaction.

"That's enough!" Tanjiro rushed towards the demon and cut off all the hands coming at him, his breath all over the place as his blood boiled.

However, a punch landed on the boy's side stomach, making him crash into a tree which knocked him out.

🎇

(Y/n)'s POV...
"What was that sound? I think I heard somebody shout." I rushed towards the place where I heard the sound come from. 

I gasped.

There was a huge green creature with numerous arms standing in front of two people. I couldn't quite make them out... It was clear that one of them was fighting the creature, which appeared to be a demon to me. A huge demon.
I tried to identify the auras. One of them felt all too familiar.

"Tanjiro... kun?" I ran in front of the bushes to get a clear view of the scene, only to find Tanjiro getting kicked in the stomach and crashing into a tree, a man near him trembling in fear.

"Tanjiro!!"

🌺