Chapter 16: The Swamp Demons

"The demons are on that side!" (Y/n) shouted as she ran in the direction where she sensed the demon, Tanjiro following her.

The duo leaped onto the roofs of houses to get to the location as soon as possible as Kazumi desperately tried to catch up with them on the ground.

"Demons...? Demon Slayer Corps?? They're real!" the man realized as he panted while running.

Tanjiro and (Y/n) gracefully landed on the ground as they reached an alleyway.

"I can smell the demon now." The boy glanced around for the demon but saw nothing.

"It's here somewhere in this alleyway." Tanjiro drew his sword. "There are two scents here: one of a demon and the other of a girl."

(Y/n) closed her eyes and concentrated on her surroundings. "There's a demonic presence scattered in the alleyway. However, the place with the strongest aura..." The girl aimed her sword at the ground, "is here!"

The girl pierced the ground, provoking a huge cloud of black smoke to rise up.

Tanjiro rushed towards the hole in the ground as he saw someone trapped in it. He swiftly managed to grab and take out the person from the demon's claws and brought her to safety. An unconscious girl in a green yukata with a blue obi and black hair lay in Tanjiro's arms.

A demon's head poked out of the hole. It had blue and violet hair, red eyes with pale blue skin, and three horns branching out from his forehead. The demon has veins bulging throughout his face.

"He's a demon that can use blood demon arts," Tanjiro observed. "I need to be extra careful."

"How many girls have you consumed?" the boy asked the demon. "Other than that, I have two more questions for you."

However, the only answer he was met with was the screeching noise of the demon grinding his teeth noisily before he disappeared into the hole again. (Y/n) looked at the scene in mild distress as she contemplated her next move.

"Kazumi-san, please carry her and stand beside us. As long as you do, we can protect you." Tanjiro handed the surprised man the unconscious girl.

The duo continued to look for the demon warily, their swords in front of them.

"When the demon disappears, its presence doesn't vanish. I just need to be careful."

Suddenly, three demons appeared near (Y/n), one behind her, and two in front of her. The sudden scent of demons appearing cautioned Tanjiro as he unleashed a breathing technique. "Breath of Water, Eighth Form: Waterfall Basin!" He slashed down two demon's hands before they disappeared into the hole beneath them.

The demon behind (Y/n) managed to scratch her on her arm before she nearly managed to cut his head off but he disappeared into his hole too. The injury caused the girl to wince.

"(Y/n)! ARE YOU OKAY??" The boy rushed towards the girl as she held her arm.

"Don't worry. It's a minor injury."

The second demon appeared once again, aiming at Kazumi holding the unconscious girl. Tanjiro noticed his move before he managed to do it. "Second Form: Water Wheel!"

He cut off the demon's hand before it managed to reach the man. The demon grunted in pain.

Tanjiro tried to slice the demon again twice, but it vanished into the swamp again and appeared some distance away.

"What the hell do you want??" the demon screamed at the duo. "Don't get in the way! If this drags on, the woman's flesh won't be fresh enough!" He paused to catch his breath. "The girl is already sixteen. If I don't eat her, the taste of her flesh will only get worse!"

The first demon appeared behind Tanjiro. "Hey you, calm down. I need to get this girl. By the scent of her blood, she obviously has marechi flowing through her veins." The demon pointed toward (Y/n)'s bleeding arm. "She is much more important than that ugly girl."

"Marechi blood? What do you mean?" The girl questioned.

"It's a total delicacy. Consuming someone with this blood holds as much power as eating fifty or hundred normal humans." The second demon chuckled.

"You demon," Kazumi frightfully asked, "R-return Satoko whom you abducted the day before yesterday t-to me."

Another demon appeared on the rooftop which made teeth-grinding noises again. The second demon started to do the same.

"Satoko? Who do you mean?" The first demon lifted his haori, revealing a ton of hairpins. "If her hairpin is among these trophies, then we've eaten her." All the demons disappeared into their holes.

All it took Kazumi was one glance at the hairpins before he started crying.

And all it took Tanjiro was one look at Kazumi before he started having flashbacks of his dead family, making him fly into a rage.

A demon aimed his claws at (Y/n) only for his neck to be broken by Nezuko, who had kicked open the box and twisted the demon's neck with a single kick, causing it to fall backward. It fell unconscious.

"You are clearly a human. Why are you carrying a demon along with you?" the first demon asked.

(Y/n) responded with an attack. "Breath of Twilight, Eighth Form: Falling Asteroids!"

The demon evaded half of the girl's attacks, but his torso was cut in half and his arms were severed by the last few slashes. He disappeared into the hole before he got beheaded. The second demon's head snapped back into place too as it vanished into the swamp.

What (Y/n) didn't notice was how badly Nezuko was restraining herself from the girl's intoxicating blood.

🎗

(Y/n)'s POV...
The demons appeared again. I was getting tired of this game of whack-a-mole, and I wasn't going to play around anymore.

"Breath of Twilight, Third Form: Mystic-"

A hand suddenly grabbed me from the wall I had accidentally gotten too close to and dragged me inside it.
"(Y/n)!" Tanjiro shouted. I tried to reply but a hand was placed over my mouth.

"First Form: Shooting Stars." I slashed with the other hand but I was unable to behead the demon as I had changed my breathing form midway. The demon let go and swam away.

I looked around. Inside the hole, it was a swamp of some sort. The air was thin but not as thin as Sagiri mountain, so I was alright. The entire swamp was trashed with the clothes of the people the demons had eaten.

"They have taken so many innocent lives..." I looked around for the demons. Now that I was here, I wasn't going to leave without beheading those demons. "This is unforgivable."

"Isn't it suffocating, brat?" one of the demons behind me taunted, "The air is thin here and you must be feeling heavy by the darkness. You're going to be my next meal!"

I smirked. "You'd be surprised to see this, then."
The first and the third demon lunged towards me. What did they think I trained for over two years for?

"Breath of Twilight, Fifth Form: Crashing Dawn!" I violently twisted my upper and lower body to perform fierce actions with my blade which generated a whirlpool that shred anything in its path.

I succeeded in beheading the demons.

🌺

He is just too cute ❤😭